Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tax time. What can i claim?

Mase1990

VY Storm 03
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm 03
I am an apprentice boilermaker. I am employed though a training company and work at a host company. Because i am technically a contractor, my host company/ training company can tell me im working at a different site or company with little to no notice. I travel 500kms a week, to and from work. Because i am technically a contractor i have no permanant place for my tools, other than my car. Does this mean i can claim anything related to travel on tax? Also this is the first time i've had to claim tax, Any tips???

Thanks everyone,
Mase..

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
See an accountant...

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
as above. but you probably wont be paying that much tax anyway....

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
You should be able to claim most of your expenses like tools, car services and repairs, fuel etc. If you get a good acountant you shouldnt be paying much tax.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Don't take advise from people on the internet, it could end in tears - yours.

Seek advise from a tax professional. You can claim back the fee next year.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
If you get a good acountant you shouldnt be paying much tax.

What a load of ****. Whatt does having a good accountant have to do anything?

They only way you pay less tax is through legal deductions, nothing more.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
What a load of ****. Whatt does having a good accountant have to do anything?

They only way you pay less tax is through legal deductions, nothing more.

It's only illegal if someone finds out haha. Nah but keep it legal.
You can claim a certain percentage of fuel you use. I couldn't claim any money going to and from work, but I could claim like 20cents per $1 for the travel I do within work using my own private car, ie. picking up parts for work. Think you can claim upto $300 without receipts (don't quote me on that). If I had my Tax book (recently started studying taxation accounting at uni) here I could give you the exact figures etc but I don't. If you work outdoors you can claim on sunnies, sunscreen etc. Not sure about tools. I've been told that if you can use the items other than work related you can't claim them. For instance if you have to buy uniforms for work with a logo you can claim, if it's ordinary clots you can't. So I'm not sure about tools, because you can use the tools every day for personal use.

Like someone mentioned. Go see an accountant, and claim the costs next financial year.

Edit: Gotta love tax time, all the "What can I claim" threads start appearing. My advice, keep all receipts you get!

Edit: From memory, I think you can't claim going to/from the meeting spot but from there what you travel you can claim.
"you have to travel between home and work more than once a day, or
you are required to travel to work outside normal hours, or
you do minor tasks (such as picking up mail) on your way to or from work, or
your home was a place of business and you travelled directly to a place of employment"

Edit: Quick search on the ATO website - http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/35042.htm. Work related expenses Tools & Equipment.

Last edited: