Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TB/Manifold Porting? Shaving, whatver you call it.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Today I decided to put my idea into action. I bought a grouter/mini grinder with extension kit........

Ripped off the intake penium/manifold.......... and the TB from it. Shaved about 3/4 of a mm off the manifold from the front where the throttle body connects to, thru to the middle section where you have the two seperated parts.......

I smoothed out the walls, and grinded the ridges down into nice smooth curves......... Also probably took about 1/4 of a mm off the TB and smoothed the front/back ridge it has.

It was well worth it. I've seen other peoples idea's, well mine definately worked. I put no claim to power figures, but from my experience what it did was:

1. Seems to add torque when the TB opens....... all revs.
2. Pulls much harder, a power climbing feeling........ no just blank revs going up .......
3. Does idle a tad rougher......... but generally speaking it just is a bit meaner.
4. Helped improve midrange.

Basically it just 'makes it better' with the sacrafise of a perfectly smooth idle. Still idles as per normal, just seems a tad........ well v8 ish in terms of idle feel.

-----

No pictures, sorry guys......... Couldn't be stuffed. If you want a clearer idea I will put up a picture of a manifold of the sections I shaved off.

Attachments

• area done.jpg
    area done.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,526
Last edited:

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
not to sound rude or anything of the like, but how can less than 1mm porting really add that much difference?

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
not to sound rude or anything of the like, but how can less than 1mm porting really add that much difference?

Well that 1mm is just a general guess, i did smooth down the ridge walls which probably took more like 3-4mm off the main sides..........

But yeh it worked..

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Well done for having a go.

Gothem92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Anyone know anyplace where i can get my SV6's TB enlarged? I'm not really keen on doing it myself. haha.

Althought bigdaddycool, have you thought about taking more off the TB?
And how does the butterfly fit now after you've removed some off the metal? maybe thats the reason it could be idling a "tad rougher" ?

Regardless done some great work mate.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I did the tb very finely... as not to effect the buttlefly so much. The idea with the TB was just to get rid of the ridges front and back and widen it at the front and the back so it generally keeps the middle section roughtly the same as not to effect it. My goal wasn't really to fiddle so much with the TB but greatly change what happens when it opens to improve general velocity and airmass with the manifold itself.

I also smoothed out my injector manifold below it somewhat. You generally dont want to go overboard because the manifolds etc are rough for a reason which is to create turbulence. So I only went as far as I did with the way I took on the task to actually get some results. I didn't wanna widen things too far without seeing it's effects first. So I'm happy with what i've done.

Seems to lean out a bit on/off throttle so I'm probably gunna have to offset when the throttle opens now a bit by adding some more fuel via changing the injectors in VCM Suite. So probably wouldn't recommend it without tuning software to check what the modifcation does so you can make the necessary adjustments.

Gothem92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Seems to lean out a bit on/off throttle so I'm probably gunna have to offset when the throttle opens now a bit by adding some more fuel via changing the injectors in VCM Suite. So probably wouldn't recommend it without tuning software to check what the modifcation does so you can make the necessary adjustments

Now that is something i would of missed and got my new 72mm TB and gone arr ****. Heres my credit card....

I did the tb very finely... as not to effect the buttlefly so much. The idea with the TB was just to get rid of the ridges front and back and widen it at the front and the back so it generally keeps the middle section roughtly the same as not to effect it. My goal wasn't really to fiddle so much with the TB but greatly change what happens when it opens to improve general velocity and airmass with the manifold itself.

Arr so you weren't trying to increase the amount of air getting in, just the way it flowed once it was in? By saying that have you heard much about the CPR6 manifolds. think they are worth the price tag? or would it be better to do what you have done, test it and tune it and adjust to its best and just also enlarge the tb with a tune to suit.

One thing i dont understand is why to create turbulence? wouldn't that disrupt airflow and slow it down? my knowledge isn't very good in the whole. How it works area.

Cheers again mate.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I cant reply to this, I've tried a few times and it would take ages to write out. You just gotta read up on how it all works and apply what you learn to archive positive outcomes with mods.

CPR6 = worth the money, but still expensive.
Larger TB = In my opinion it would help with responsiveness but in a straight line...... you'd see the pitfall of the manifold not supporting the design size.
My Mod = If you understand it, can change the ECU to suit, it's cheap and easy.....