Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tcm & bcm recommended for stand alone Haltech setup

Nxtred

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS 355
I bought a 355 stroker motor and stand alone Haltech ecu for my vs ss. The motor is in and I’m in the process of installing the new wiring loom. With the new loom there is no plugs for the transmission or the instrument cluster, horn headlights ect. I need advice as to what to use for a aftermarket transmission control module and body control module for the 4L60E. TIA

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is no after market BCM...

The joys of after markets ecu's is you loose the functionality of all the factory fitted stuff. There are stand alone transmission controllers available but all this seems like a lot of wasted money for something the factory PCM does just fine.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Most people remap the factory ECU for the exact reason that you're experiencing (that and ease of wiring), so there's no go-to transmission controller that anybody will be able to recommend straight away. You'll have to go looking for trans controllers from the States if you want to stay electronic, should be a selection you can at least look at on sites like Summit Racing. The other solution would be to use a TH700 from a VN/VP or some other gearbox.

The engine loom that came with the Haltech will be purely for the engine control only, no relation to body functions or lights or windows or anything else. For VN-VS a lot of the cluster data (speed pulses, RPM, fuel float) is sent directly from the ECU or associated component and doesn't traverse the BCM (pretty sure the headlights and stuff like that don't either). You should still be able to plug the BCM into the stock body loom and have a bunch of stuff work. As above, no such thing as an aftermarket BCM.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
From my experience with a Motec ECU in my 355/383 VS Calais, you would use the Haltec to control the engine functions, and leave the standard PCM/BCM to control the transmission and other vehicle functions. Some sensors, such as the CTS, need to be wired to both the Haltec and PCM, while functions, such as injector control, would only be wired to the Haltec. Suggest you look at the Haltec web site for specific information.

As other members have said, it's not all beer and skittles (old saying).

Nxtred

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS 355
From my experience with a Motec ECU in my 355/383 VS Calais, you would use the Haltec to control the engine functions, and leave the standard PCM/BCM to control the transmission and other vehicle functions. Some sensors, such as the CTS, need to be wired to both the Haltec and PCM, while functions, such as injector control, would only be wired to the Haltec. Suggest you look at the Haltec web site for specific information.

As other members have said, it's not all beer and skittles (old saying).
That makes sense. I might look into a piggy back set up and have both ecu’s

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have generally been under the impression that you fit an aftermarket ECU when the factory one can not be remapped. Some Chryslers are like this and require an aftermarket ECU as the software can not be hacked and alterations made.

Nxtred

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS 355
I have generally been under the impression that you fit an aftermarket ECU when the factory one can not be remapped. Some Chryslers are like this and require an aftermarket ECU as the software can not be hacked and alterations made.
Just got off the phone with Haltech and their tech guy said if you can wire in the ignition and injectors from the Haltech ecu but retain the factory loom and ecu should get me out of strife. I’m going to get a second opinion from my local auto electrician and see if he thinks this can be done and is a good idea. I’ll keep you all postered!

Nxtred

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS 355
Ok. I ended up giving my factory loom to my auto electrician so he can move a few sensors around to suit my top mount throttle body. Turns out it will be cheaper to have my delco remapped at a rough cost of $850 and luckily I found a mob that can do it!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Why on earth would you need a top mount throttle body in a VS SS?