Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TECH HEADS- super low king spring install HELP!!

T

TOBSTA

hey people just after some general info on lowering my car..
here is what ive got to go in my vs11 s pack 97 ute on friday:
-super lows front and back
- adjustable panhard rod
- monroe gt gas shortened shocks for the rear.
im just trying to make sure i put it all in, in the correct order... so
panhard rod first (any tips), then rear end shocks and springs, then front end, then finally adjusting the panhard rod again at the end...
please if you guys have any tips or little secrets that may help me finish quicker, id really appreciate it..

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
I would personally unbolt shocks and remove, replace springs and then fit new shocks. Finally I would fit panhard rod last and adjust it once. Prior to fitting it make sure it's adjusted to the lenght of the std panhard rod with approximately the same ammount of thread on either of the central nut to allow for final adjustment once fitted.

YSOBLU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore - Modded
Yeah id definately remove rear shocks, while there out putting the spring in will be very easy, replace new shocks, put the adj panhard rod in at standard width with even thread either side of the nut like hsvpgts said, go for a quick spin around the block just to flatten the car out after its been on the jack/stands... then adjust the panhard rod when ya get back...

Then about 1 month or 2 later, check the panhard rod again, as im sure the springs will settle lower and the panhard rod will need another adjustment...

Dave

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Use the right tools for the job... ie. spring compressors on the front springs while undoing the front strut tops...you probablly wont need them to put the shortened springs in...but they will prevent the strut top from flying off and decapitating you when you undo the the strut tops...(*tip1* fit them to the springs fingertight before jacking up the front)....the resting weight of the car has already compressed the springs and as soon as you lift the weight off the wheels and the suspension extends when jacking up the front, the springs will be still compressed...and will probablly wont need any further compression to relieve the pressure on the strut tops. (*tip2* never get anywhere near under a car unless it has something to fall on if the car slips off the jackstands)... I always leave wheels or a wheel ramp under the sill panels when under a car with the wheels off...better to damage a rim than your life !!!:thumbsup:

T

TOBSTA

alrite thanks alot.. rear shocks first- then rear springs- then side by side on the front using the spring compressors- then panhard rod.. il keep you posted on how i go ( putting them in on friday)

T

TOBSTA

yeah all done, if i was doing it again id just let a suspension place do the front, as they are ****ed, but yeah back is sitting a little higher then the front but hopefully they will bed in nicely and you wont be able to notice the difference... next mods wheels and exhaust