Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

temp gauge on vn

holden123

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VX SS SII
Hi, need some help with my temp gauge. I just put a new radiator in (natrad) new water pump, new intake manifold gasket's , new thermostat, 2 new temp sender on the intake manifold. Now the temp gauge in the car read's 1/2, but before I did all this the temp gauge read 1/4, is this the right temp? Or is it too high? The thermo fan come's on at 3/4 and cool's it back down to 1/2. Was told today you can run a colder thermostat, can anyone inform to weather this is true or not...:bang:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Is the car getting hot tho? Can you squeeze the hoses?

It may just be a dodgy thermostat, blocked water jacket, or that the gauge is now reading correct.

The gauge can be tested using a multi meter - but how I'm not sure

holden123

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VX SS SII
can squeeze the hoses, also replace the temp gauge as that's what i thought it was. sorry not sure what you mean about water jackets. spoke to a guy at auto pro today he said the temp is fine. And the car should run 1/2 way. I'm so confused

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Temp gauge is exactly that....its a gauge. Can you tell me what temp the water is at 1/4 gauge reading and what temp the water is at half? It may only be a few degrees different if that. Only way to find out is to get into the computer via holden and check what the coolant temp is at when reading halfway. I think you will be surprised to find that between half and a quarter there is barely a couple of degrees.

holden123

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VX SS SII
thanks for that it make some sense now. was told you can get two thermostat one runs 15c cooler thanks for your help

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The gauge is adjustable too - has a slider adjustment at the back of the gauge.

Have you tried the old gauge back in the car?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't get a cooler thermostat. No need whatsoever. I have a 500hp VL Berlina Turbo which sees street duties with air con and it has standard thermostat. I just sold my VS S Pack SII V6 Commodore and that had standard thermostat.

With a fully serviced cooling system, there is no need to stray away from the stock standard genuine thermostat. After I serviced the VS and complete cooling system, the gauge occassionally played up and went to 3/4 mark. My best mate at the auto electricians put the hand held computer on it and even when the gauge rose to 3/4 mark, it wasn't in any danger of getting too hot.....exact figures are unknown as it was 3 years ago when we did it. The car went perfectly and no overheating for 3 years of owning it.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
and i was just going to ask the simple quesiton of did u bleed the cooling system and have the heater on while doing it..?

holden123

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VX SS SII
yep bleed the cooling system i might run a over ride switch on the thermo fan. found a post on here do you think it's a good idea?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
There is no way that anyone would be able to switch a fan on perfectly at the correct time everytime the gauge rises......unless you are stationary and you recline your seat back a little and you get some popcorn and a drink and you are sitting in your driveway staring constantly at the temp gauge :)

Go to an auto electrician or holden dealership and get the tech 2 hand piece on the car and let them tell you the water temp when the gauge is reading 3/4.