Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temp Sensor in the air box...

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Anyone know how i could make something to read the temperature off the sensor in the airbox?

a simple jaycar kit? or something?

just playing with an idea to have something read the airbox temp (outside temp) compared to the plenum temp (ingestion temp) of which i can install the same sensor into and run dual displays to compare them.

cheers!

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Not off hand and you have to remember it still won't give a true temp as it's air and humidity passing over the sensor which would be classified as "wind chill factor" and normal temp would be classified "in the shade wind free".

You may find (on the V8's) that you could get gauges similar to Areoforce that utilise the OBD2 port and read straight off the BCM?

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Not off hand and you have to remember it still won't give a true temp as it's air and humidity passing over the sensor which would be classified as "wind chill factor" and normal temp would be classified "in the shade wind free".

You may find (on the V8's) that you could get gauges similar to Areoforce that utilise the OBD2 port and read straight off the BCM?

Good point...

Maybe if i install seperate (independant) sensors through a small tapped hole in the plenum and in the airbox, but in some sort of "buffer" that will protect them from the wind, but still get "in the shade" temps... sort of like boom microphones have those big furry covers....

saying that, you wouldnt want any "fluff" coming free and getting injested. so perhaps a little "wind shield" around the sensor?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i would install an extra sensor in the airbox and another in the plenum, for you to read the temps off, . Dont worry too much about the wind chill, essentially that is what the ambient air temperature is being read at by the standard IAT. it is a factor, but if the outside temp is 40deg, the IAT should be reading ~40 deg also.

the only thing you may have problems with is converting the resistance to degs.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
2 new sensors and some form of voltage regulator to cut 12v down to 5 feed both sensors and read the voltage out of the sensors on 2 voltmeter guages from dicksmiths.if you lowered the voltage more you could probably use 2 narrowband A/F guages as displays