Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temperamental door lock

Monro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt commodore
My passenger rear door will unlock as normal all day but after the sun goes down it won't unlock! Can anyone offer a logical explanation?

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
They need the sun to operate.

Joking.

Could be the lock motor on its way out or something needing lubricating. or a miryad of other things.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
lock actuator, very common to act up in rainy cold weather

D

devilly

i think its called the ecu,the box inside the side wall passenger side.foam wears out and it gets so cold.i re foamed mine and hasn't missed a beat :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hmmm, should never get cold in Bowen. I have a similar problem with the driver's door on my wife's VS Clubsport. Had the door actuator replaced one or two times under warranty when the car was new. A couple of years ago it started playing up again and replaced it with a used actuator. It was fine for a couple of years and lately has been playing up again, but intermittently. Sometimes it works well (like today when it was around 5C overnight), but other times it doesn't work the first time you try and unlock it after it has been left for a while. There appears to be no pattern. WD40 around the door button appears to help but isn't a cure. Like you, I don't understand why it can work sometimes and not work at other times. I was thinking that the door button or mechanism must be jamming somehow, but I haven't got around to pulling the inner door card off and investigating.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
i think its called the ecu,the box inside the side wall passenger side.foam wears out and it gets so cold.i re foamed mine and hasn't missed a beat :)

The BCM controls central locking.

D

devilly

sorry i always get things messed up lol :) then its the connector's to the bcm i had to chop mine and add wire to make the connectors longer ,upside down for a few hrs soldering and heat-shrink tube.

also had to replace front windscreen as water was dripping down too from memory.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
it would be a cold solder join in the actuator itself usually pretty common, which explains why it will work more so in warmer conditions most of the time.

Monro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt commodore
Thanks guys, gives me some idea what to look at when I get around to it.