Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temporary fix for roof lining sag?

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey all! Today I've noticed that the roof lining in my VE wagon is sagging just inside from my two front doors.

I have a feeling it's because I accidently left the windows down overnight. It was a hot day, rain got in during the night, so the humidity probably impacted the adhesive.

I can't really afford to have a professional job done. Has anyone here been successful glueing it back themselves as a temporary fix?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Some may say drawing pins. Don’t. The roof lining houses the roof wiring loom which goes all over the liner. Put a pin through that and short a circuit and the knock on affects are not cool.

Temp fix is plan to get it fixed. Mobile mobs will do it at your work or home. $200-$300 seems to be going rate.

Fix yourself, two days (for the inexperienced) $50 for spray adhesive. $50-$100 for fabric depending on what you use and from where.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Have it fixed, it’s not expensive.
If it falls on your head whilst driving it might be expensive.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
3m spray adhesive

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just hit it all over with a framing gun … the nails poking through the roof will also keep pigeons off the car and therefore you won’t have to worry about pigeon poop as much :p

Or just get it fixed :rolleyes:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If it’s come out at the edge of it you can use a contact adhesive to glue it back up again, will last for ages like that too

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Some may say drawing pins. Don’t. The roof lining houses the roof wiring loom which goes all over the liner. Put a pin through that and short a circuit and the knock on affects are not cool.

Fair advice but you'd have to be pretty unlucky to hit one!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s not representative of all models. Our Calais has it all over.

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks for all the replies. Ive been quoted 260-360 for a fix from various mobile trimmers.

As an extremely poor uni student, I'd be interested in trying to do a permanent fix myself to save money. Is this possible through buying some basic equipment from supercheap plus fabric? I'm more than happy to dedicate a few days, but not if the chances of screwing it up are are high.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks for all the replies. Ive been quoted 260-360 for a fix from various mobile trimmers.

As an extremely poor uni student, I'd be interested in trying to do a permanent fix myself to save money. Is this possible through buying some basic equipment from supercheap plus fabric? I'm more than happy to dedicate a few days, but not if the chances of screwing it up are are high.

The glue is about $50 for two cans at Autobarn. The foam backed material will be about $150. You decide if the savings are worth the hassle?