Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tensioner Pulley Kicking

Hurricane300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Holden VU Ute 3.8 V6
Hi
I'm new to this site and Holdens. Please excuse this question if its a standard fix.
I have a 2001 VU 3.8 litre V6 ute that I use as a daily driver / tow vehicle. I must admit it's been a great car and very easy to drive (5 speed manual).
I've owned if for about 9 months and done around 13,000 klms in it.
A few months ago the water pump started leaking so I got a new one and had it installed. When installed it was found that the tensioner pulley needed to be replaced as well. The one that was on it was worn and the belt was 15-20 mm longer than it was meant to be. The mechanic noted that there was a loud knock when the car was cranked and suspected a worn camshaft bearing. Well, after 2 months of driving I went to start the car and the front blew off the tensioner pully (the press fit area). I purchased a new one (both Gates brand) and reinstalled it. But even the new pulley is starting to kick and make a loud hammer sound when started. This pulley is only 2 weeks old! The car runs very smoothly when running with no knocks or rattles and revs up fine. I've looked at the belt and pulleys when idling and there isn't any play and everything seems to be running correctly. Surely I can't have 2 bad tensioners? Any assistance would greatly be appreciated. Would a bad camshaft bearing cause these issues? Would there be other signs that would point to a bad bearing?

Attachments

• 277737790_10227815049305661_7335079466175387838_n.jpg
    277737790_10227815049305661_7335079466175387838_n.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 82

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
I'm new to this site and Holdens. Please excuse this question if its a standard fix.
I have a 2001 VU 3.8 litre V6 ute that I use as a daily driver / tow vehicle. I must admit it's been a great car and very easy to drive (5 speed manual).
I've owned if for about 9 months and done around 13,000 klms in it.
A few months ago the water pump started leaking so I got a new one and had it installed. When installed it was found that the tensioner pulley needed to be replaced as well. The one that was on it was worn and the belt was 15-20 mm longer than it was meant to be. The mechanic noted that there was a loud knock when the car was cranked and suspected a worn camshaft bearing. Well, after 2 months of driving I went to start the car and the front blew off the tensioner pully (the press fit area). I purchased a new one (both Gates brand) and reinstalled it. But even the new pulley is starting to kick and make a loud hammer sound when started. This pulley is only 2 weeks old! The car runs very smoothly when running with no knocks or rattles and revs up fine. I've looked at the belt and pulleys when idling and there isn't any play and everything seems to be running correctly. Surely I can't have 2 bad tensioners? Any assistance would greatly be appreciated. Would a bad camshaft bearing cause these issues? Would there be other signs that would point to a bad bearing?
Does the belt jump around at the tensioner?
Have you had the belt of & tested all the pullies?
What is the harmonic balancer like, when idling?

Hurricane300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Holden VU Ute 3.8 V6
Hi
The belt runs smoothly on the tensioner.
Yes, al the pulleys are turning well and not making any noises.
The harmonic balancer when idling looks like it has a tiny tiny bit of play / 'non roundness' in it but when revved up it runs perfectly smooth.
BTW - the car has done 238,236 klms and has regular oil changes every 7000 klms. It's a sweet running daily bus.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Shame you're not up north I know a bit about the V6 and the noises they make.