Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tensioner pulley part#

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Feb 8, 2019.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Ok so this is weird. I just refitted the old pulley but without a washer in behind the big plate that sits under bolt, it binds up and won't spin. Had to fit the washer in behind the plate to allow it to spin. I'm starting to think a previous owner has fitted the wrong part. Not sure if I now try and EP001 as the tensioner might have enough to take up the extra 8mm needed to fit a smaller pulley.

2. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    The reason Sparesbox says it won't fit is because they just feed the manufacturer parts database into the site and there is no listing for a Commodore with an EP004 pulley, it doesn't do dimensions comparison between what you have and what that part is, parts websites aren't sophisticated enough for that and there's not much point really.

But you have the measurements of both pulleys and can make your own decision based on that.

3. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Also worth mentioning too, I've found a number of manufacturers parts catalogues to be totally wrong and probably based on assumptions - i.e., was sent the correct listed part from shop X but the part was wrong in the manufacturers catalogue in the first place.

4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I'm at a bit of a loss to know exactly what part is correct, now that I figured out the pulley needs a washer to make it freely spin. It would seem that it could be possible the VR V6 ute has it's own specific pulley. Either that or the wrong pulley has been fitted. But that begs the question why would GMH make the ute with the same engine as wagon and sedan to have it's own specific pulley??

5. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Need to mention the pulley is still smooth. Only reason I looked at even replacing it is because a mech told me that is probably whyu I am getting a whine in my engine. Now I am not a mech's arsehole but I think the noise is coming from the aircon comp.