Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Terminals VP Calais

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
yewww another vp. on wat looks like ksport coilovers.
good to here u still got this calais

Nah they're custom made with Bilstein shocks revalved for a bit more travel.

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
These will hang out the guards like 20mm, stick with 42-30P offsets on the front and 30P rears

The wheels I have on now are 17x8 +21 and they are fine, I actually would even say a little more poke is needed. 8.5's might be a bit more difficult though.

The 42-30p offsets for cars like the VX and onwards dont fit the Calais properly, the rears scrub on the inside of the guard and the fronts sit too far in and look stupid.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
VP/Q IRS rear hubs are different to all of the later ones which means offsets that work fine on a VP won't on a VR onwards (and visa versa).

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
The wheels I have on now are 17x8 +21 and they are fine, I actually would even say a little more poke is needed. 8.5's might be a bit more difficult though.

The 42-30p offsets for cars like the VX and onwards dont fit the Calais properly, the rears scrub on the inside of the guard and the fronts sit too far in and look stupid.

WOW cos I put Genuine VP Senator 17x8 30Ps on the front on my VP and the tyres were dead flush with the guards and from the front it looked like they poked.

All Commodores (VN-VZ atleast) want 42P or lower offset 8.5s front as a 50P will hit struts and generally a 30P 8.5 will be flush or poking. The rear VP IRS cars are usally 10-15mm different in offsets but I had 9.5s on a VP and the rim hit the inner and outter body work so rule them out (think they were around 32P)

VP/Q IRS rear hubs are different to all of the later ones which means offsets that work fine on a VP won't on a VR onwards (and visa versa).

the difference

IMAG0307-1.jpg

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Yeah I have a pair of VR/VS Trailing arms sitting in the garage because I know you can easily swap them out to bring the wheel offsets back into line with the rest of the commodores but whenever I fit VX etc wheels the fronts just dont look right in the guards, they sit too far in. I've test fitted WH Grange 18's and VT GTS 18's and they just dont look right on the front. Does anyone know if the front brake hubs are at all different throughout the models, that could explain why they sit too far in?

The 21p offset wheels I have on now are really good, they fit fine and look right but they're 17s which I think are a tad too small. I want 18s.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yeah I have a pair of VR/VS Trailing arms sitting in the garage because I know you can easily swap them out to bring the wheel offsets back into line with the rest of the commodores but whenever I fit VX etc wheels the fronts just dont look right in the guards, they sit too far in. I've test fitted WH Grange 18's and VT GTS 18's and they just dont look right on the front. Does anyone know if the front brake hubs are at all different throughout the models, that could explain why they sit too far in?

The 21p offset wheels I have on now are really good, they fit fine and look right but they're 17s which I think are a tad too small. I want 18s.

Front axles/struts are the same VB-VP and changed to the slip on type disk type for VR onwards. The major difference with VT to the earlier ones will be the relationship between the hub face and guard which could change significantly as the VT was engineered for up to 19" wheels (can't remember the offsets) whilst the VN-S was 17" max. I have a set of genuine VP GTS wheels (and a set of VR GTS wheels) that you are welcome to try if you like. Probably not the style you want but at least it'll give you another reference.

Come to think of it I ran the VR GTS's on my VP for a while and they sat just fine. I also have a set of 19" something or others that are on the car at the moment which you can try too. NFI the offset on them but they sit great in relation to the front guard.

FFS - I seem to be catching hak's disease with all the wheels I have :bang:

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Yeah I might take you up on that Reap when I start to get serious about getting new wheels. Right now i'm just browsing and calculating offsets and what not and I need to get some of the front suspension sorted a little too as it's not perfect. I was pretty sure the front discs were all the same VB to VP thanks for confirming. Maybe I just have a different definition of what looks 'right'.