Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Terminals VP Calais

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Update. (Soz for **** phone quality.

6E5fFd7.jpg

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
whacha been up to little buddy? any progress?

(due to the twin clause the further use of "little buddy" will depend on if your younger than me, 32)....

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
whacha been up to little buddy? any progress?

(due to the twin clause the further use of "little buddy" will depend on if your younger than me, 32)....

Somehow I didnt see this post till just now. Weird.. anyway I have been making progress. Also, little buddy is acceptable im 22 :).

I have some updates which I will post tonight. Stay tuned :D

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Okay so I have been real lazy in updating this thread. The car has actually had a lot happen to it but I haven’t taken a whole heap of photos. I will try and do better as I proceed with the current project.
So since the last real update a lot has happened. So I’ll try and remember it all and list it.

A while ago I wanted to change up the look of the car and because I’m very picky about wheels I like, coupled with the difference in offset from other commodores it was very hard to find any suitable, so for a quick fix I decided to just change the colour myself. It is just a rattle can job but I did my best to prep the wheels well before applying colour. I don’t expect it will last long (It’s already starting to look a bit tatty) but it will do until I finally decide to pull the trigger on some different wheels.

Next up my suspension "upgrade" to King Springs and Monroe shocks was thrown in the bin, the shocks bottomed out constantly and the ride was just crap. I went to a proper suspension place and explained the problem to him which he had heard plenty of times in the past. I had known this but he confirmed that the macpherson strut system used in the VP doesn’t like going lower and as such the strut itself needs to be modified along with a re-valved shock to ensure more travel. I could have just had that done and stuck with a regular non-adjustable springs but I have an issue with the left side of the car sitting higher than the right (I think I have a twisted chassis) so I went with adjustable coilovers so I could even it out better. In the end I went with a custom strut setup paired with Bilstein Sport shocks and Eibach springs.

At the same time this was happening I had found that my IRS Sub Frame was cracked and split which again was confirmed to me by the suspension guy who explained it was very common. After some research it seems that Holden messed up part of the process when making these sub frames and left them in the ovens too long or not enough which made them brittle. Whether or not the cracks happened just with the 6 banger and no supercharger or whilst the supercharger was installed is unknown but regardless it was f***ed. So whilst everything else was happening I had the Sub Frame removed, I sourced a 2nd hand one with no obvious problems and had it strengthened by welding I believe a 5mm or thicker plate over the problem areas. Along with the extra bracing the suspension guy filled it with some kind of expander foam which is supposed to also aid in strengthening it. Also the rear shocks were changed to Bilsteins too. Unfortunately I have no photos of this process but next time the sub frame is out I’ll be sure to take some snaps.

TLDR; Suspension sucked, spoke to a guy, he agreed, currency was exchanged, suspension no longer sucks.

Wheel in primer ready for colour
1bNfslk.jpg

Wheel in rattle can special gloss black
qPHh59E.jpg

K-Mac Adjustable Caster Rods
mgGAor7.jpg

Custom Adjustable Coilovers
C2VXrY0.jpg

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Now to the really interesting part and the up to date stuff. On October 15th 2014 I pulled the car into the workshop and pulled the motor out. Now originally this was done because I was expecting to lightly rebuild the motor and remove the ####ed balance shaft which made the car sound like someone had thrown stones in the motor. I had planned to basically replace every gasket I could, remove the balance shaft, install a double row timing chain and put a new performance harmonic balancer on.

This plan seemed solid before the 15th and a good plan of action in preparation for the SC-14 Charger until *cue dramatic music* a couple of weeks prior I purchased an LS1 255kw motor with loom, ecu and T56 for quite a nice price. I have been checking eBay for probably a year just looking and messaging a couple of people to see what they’d say with nothing coming from it. Then this motor and box popped up at a fair price so I messaged the guy, he said he’d knock $300 off the list price so I said I’d come down and see the motor and hear it run as it was still in the car. I went down there with a plan of action. In one pocket was $200, in the other was $3000. After hearing it run and seeing it was what it was meant to be I hit him with an offer. $3000 cold hard cash right there right then. He ummed and arred but eventually said “deal”. So bang, I had bought myself an LS1 and 6 speed, a combination I had been researching and contemplating for a long time. The timing couldn’t have been better, mere weeks from my 22nd birthday and almost exactly a month before I could throw my P plates in the bin I had purchased a V8.

Now fast forward back to the 15th, my car was sitting in the shop minus one V6 motor. I had an LS1 at home and a car with no motor. Then the decision was made, after calculating finances and weighing up the options I decided I would be stupid to rebuild the V6 and put it back in only to potentially pull it out in 2015 again to do the conversion I had deep down always wanted to do. It had been decided, LS1 and T56 in, L27 Buick V6 and T5 out.
I had already figured out the combination I wanted to run in terms of the conversion itself which is. Pacemaker LS1 to VN VP VR VS Headers, Tuff Mounts, Malwood Automotive LHS Starter Relocation and Malwood Under Dash Hydraulic Pedal Box. Within a week of making the decision to LS1 all the things these parts were ordered and on their way.

As it sits the LS1 is outside of the car as I mock up the trans and start relocation kit, a V8 subframe was purchased and modified to suit and I’ve received all the parts to physically mount the engine and trans.
Here are some pics and descriptions.

Stay Tuned.

TLDR; V6 was noisy, bought a V8, pulled out V6 with intention of putting it back in, realized that was dumb, murdered a hooker, spent cash on conversion parts, commenced operation LS1 all the things.

255 KW LS1 and T56 Purchased
IlcKjNF.jpg

V6 Out
6E5fFd7.jpg

Motor mocked up on V8 K Frame with Tuff Mounts
taGT7ya.jpg

Sump Clearance, Or Lack Thereof
dYFBOOH.jpg

Sump Clearance, Or Lack Thereof 2
UDdJcUV.jpg

Solution to sump clearance
jVJAJ2G.jpg

Modified K Frame
TVKCmcq.jpg

LHS Start Mocked up
EN9HFK8.jpg

LHS Bellhousing Adapter installed with longer dowels
zu0d7CA.jpg

I will add more pics of the parts I’m using soon.

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
So progress report is, Got the V8 K-Frame back from the powdercoater's after having it sand blasted, went with satin black as no need for gloss.

Decided to tackle the pedal box as i'm still waiting on a few things to progress with the motor and gearbox side of things. I wasn't looking forward to this part at all but I bit the bullet. After lying in the footwell for a while making a plan of attack I decided to dive in. I went the no ####ing around approach and just removed the entire steering column for optimal access. I ran out of time to get the new pedal box installed but it's in position awaiting final adjustment and re-assembly. Gotta figure out how i'm going to run the low pressure feed hose from the clutch fluid reservoir and the high pressure to the slave. Some slight enlarging of the original clutch hole will be required. Maybe even an extra hole above it for the low pressure hose to live.

That's all for now, after the Melb Cup i'll get back onto it and re-install the new pedal box and progress further.

K-Frame freshly sandblasted
HNBZCWo.jpg

K-Frame freshly powdercoated satin black
qkWFFAy.jpg

Steering column out
OAg05rS.jpg

Old pedal box out
tknXCgF.jpg

Old vs New
3GiNCCa.jpg

Stay tuned for "Pedal box in" update.