Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Terms and Rules vs Forum Rules

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
For a moment I thought Raj, Sheldon , was back
Yes on the subject of those things "not allowed" (now that means immediate permanent ban apparently), I was recently asked where the hell Forum Rules actually located on the site map, on behalf of someone who genuinely couldn't find it. Then it occurred to me that most modern (mobile phone / tablet) users actually don't get to see the link to Terms and Rules as old school desktop users did.
Importantly the Terms and Rules "agreement link" you check upon registration is exclusive of, and not linked to the Forum Rules information.
In fact once a member is registered and has agreed to the fair Terms and Rules bit, there is no way to access the seperate more draconian punitive penalty action for actions described as simply not allowed under Forum Rules, unless you are logged in on a desktop computer and search the desktop for a hidden link like an Easter egg.
Is no wonder people are surprised when courteously advised something is against Forum Rules, because likely very few new members can actually see it, never mind read and take note of it. BTW if we are being encouraged to login using FaceBook and utilise its promotional marketing features perhaps there is a brief explanation as to how NOT to create a second account, as with the current complication it is an easy mistake for new players.
Also worth noting is the entire infraction warning system, as most older members understand and happily agreed to, seems to be abandoned, also that a moderator now does not need to justify actions based on any rules.
I have no reason to complain, just an important point of order and compliance to maybe bring to @Darren 's attention, that the policy of minimal moderation and self-regulation seems to work in the main except where, as noted above, a new member has not had the opportunity to read the rules by which they are summarily banned by a moderator. Seems unfair without any reference or notice in the Terms and Rules that registration for membership depends on agreeing to the Forum Rules and that a link be provided to that information.
This precipitates an ethical point: The "good standing" of a member's relationship to any moderator on the team should not influence application of the Forum Rules, lest the hidden rules as described, and unconditional power of the moderator as above, could be grossly misinterpreted. For example if a member of good standing trolls a thread with massively offensive opinion contrary to the Just Commodores forum ethos, to deliberately get a rise from pure argument, then we see a new very enthusiastic, typically disciplined and decent ex ADF sgt (who has not had the opportunity to read the Forum Rules) is permanently banned for retaliating, that seems unfair.
I suggest the application of punitive powers in banning the honourable ADF sgt does not deter trolling at all as the member of good standing will continue as resident protagonist (stirrer) and members are none the wiser about the Forum Rules and penalties, including changes to the infraction system and absolute power of any moderator irrespective of the agreed rules.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Right, guess you have to be privy to the whole story/incident before the above makes proper sense.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Right, guess you have to be privy to the whole story/incident before the above makes proper sense.
Unless you sign up on a desktop there is no way possible that you agreed to the Forum Rules. Rather you agreed to something a hell of a lot more equitable and fair called Terms and Rules.
You actually don’t see or called notice to the fact that Forum Rules are separately defined elsewhere, hidden, until it is too late.
I can't imagine why it would be deliberate, a tragic informational design mistake but someone really needs to point out the rules else... it’s a trap!
  • Do you know the Forum Rules?
  • Did you agree to those rules?
  • Do you know what is not allowed and incur an immediate permanent ban vs the notional hierarchial levels of infraction?
  • Do you know where to refer to those rules on a mobile device? Or navigate on a desktop?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I briefly read the rules from my laptop a long time ago. I tend to know the ones that affect me and those pertaining to a particular forum, say trading or pic of the day. I wouldn't know the ones that get you banned for a once off. But I don't think it would be rocket science either, knowing what is absolutely unacceptable because those rules would apply in most online forums. Some of the rules you learn over time from posts being delted.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I briefly read the rules from my laptop a long time ago. I tend to know the ones that affect me and those pertaining to a particular forum, say trading or pic of the day. I wouldn't know the ones that get you banned for a once off. But I don't think it would be rocket science either, knowing what is absolutely unacceptable because those rules would apply in most online forums. Some of the rules you learn over time from posts being delted.
Right, both those are summarised and pinned as a notice in the respective Forum Section.
It is possible you agreed to JC member privileges without reading the Forum Rules in entirety, and through a process of deduction worked out what works. There's some interesting stuff like the use of caps and creating a duplicate post worth knowing (not allowed).

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I just had a look for the Rules and this is what I found:
On my laptop....Terms and Rules link is at bottom right hand corner of the page
On my iPhone...Terms and Rules link is at bottom right hand corner of the page

If you click on Terms and Rules in the bottom right hand corner it will open up to this page:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/help/terms
The Forum Rules section can then be selected from the box on the left.

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I just had a look for the Rules and this is what I found:
On my laptop....Terms and Rules link is at bottom right hand corner of the page
On my iPhone...Terms and Rules link is at bottom right hand corner of the page
Goodo. You missed the point, Terms and Rules has nothing to do with Forum Rules either at registration or otherwise in plain view.
At registration on a mobile device you agree to Terms and Rules as defined, there is no mention of the more draconian Forum Rules. You can't possibly know that or it's importance before you agree to Terms and Rules in exchange for membership privilege.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I remember something about caps but i never use them unless its beginning a sentence or an abbreviation. I have only ever had two posts deleted. One was because I didnt check the rules on the pic of the day thread and the other was deleted as i thought it may have been soon after I posted it. Yes of course i didn't read all the rules, who would when you have a reasonable idea of what they pertain to after using forums for 15 years.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What are the draconian rules you mentioned monster?