Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Terrible VR Fuel Economy

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
G'day,

I'm currently having issues with my SII V6 VR. About a fortnight ago I did a lengthy service on the car and it was running well. The other day the engine light came on for about 20 seconds and since then I have had terrible fuel consumption; approx 250km per tank.
I have not noticed any other issues and apart from the economy I feel the car has been running alot better since then.

What can be the cause of this? there's also no noticeable signs on the spark plugs that the car is running rich.

thanks!

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey Mate,

Check your error codes as mentioned, But it would be one of the sensors, My bet is the O2 sensors. common cause my instant fuel issues.
Or you have a hole in your fuel tank lol

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe you are driving with a bit more 'gusto' than before due to the better feel of a sharp engine and consequently using more juice. The engine light coming on could indicate you've been pushing the go pedal a bit hard as well which can cause the trans oil to overheat and bring the engine light on.

elemeNtz

Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
Thanks for all the swift responses.
I have looked in other threads and the trend for error codes is something I had in mind when posting this thread

I haven't really been driving that hard; I merely drive to work. In traffic I prolly don't rev over 3k, 3.5k at most.
I do think it is an o2 sensor, I hope it is because they are easy to do!

Ill do the error check tomorrow and let you all know

thanks

mwemy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
see my thread bud lol

elemeNtz

Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
Have you fixed your issue mwemy? there's possible solutions but no conclusion

I just did that diagnostic - it came up with a few errors lol

Code 13 - Oxygen Sensor (O2) - No Signal
Code 16 - Coolant temperature Sensor voltage unstable
Code 43 - Knock Sensor Circuit
Code 19 - Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) stuck

I'm sourcing a o2 sensor today and going to sort out the cooling/other sensors on the weekend. Apart from the o2 sensor, can any of these other faults contribute to the rubbish economy?

Last edited:

pecksterism99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
I had bad very fuel consumption in our VR, due entirely to the oxygen sensor. Suggest you replace that then clear the error codes by unhooking the battery for about 60 seconds (any longer than that and you will have to re-enter the radio security PIN too). You'll probably find the other codes don't reappear.

elemeNtz

Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
indeed, I'll replace the o2 sensor tomorrow morning... it seams pretty easy

Does anyone have a vr-specific guideline? a brief forum search/google didn't find anything of any great use

mwemy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
ive basicly done everything apart from my coolant temp sensor wich i am gonna sort out on the weekend :)