Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Testing Coil

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
Hey guys my car still has a miss I hvae tryed many things and spend a little bit of money trying to fix this. My next idea is to check to see if the coils are working correctly(I should have thought of this a year back). I have a Vp Calais series 2 V6 so it has the three, double coil packs. Whjat I am needing to know is how can I test to see which is working and which is not? I understand I am going to have to get my multimeter out and check the voltages. I am just not to sure what the voltages should be at in perfect working condition and what voltages is a bad voltage.
If anyone can help me with this that would be great
Thanx all
:thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you can't test the output voltage for the coil, especially not with a multimeter as they are only designed to go to 1000V max and the coil puts out over 35000Volts. you can remove the coils however and test the resistance of the coils by testing between the output post of the coil and the 2 inputs under the coil and compare with say a new coil or known good coil etc

BrianH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE
There are only two tests and both are for resistance, not voltage. Remove the coils and place the probes of your ohmmeter onto the two terminals underneath each one. This tests the primary windings and you should get a reading between .3 and 1.5 ohms.

To check the secondary windings, place the ohmmeter probes on the two top terminals that the plug leads connect to and you should get a reading between 5000 to 7000 ohms.

If the coil fails either of these tests it must be replaced.

Brian