Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Tests on Pod/Panel - Dyno differences in CAI/Intakes

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
K&N pods are know to not flow as much as a K&N panel filter theres lots of pod filters that **** all over K&N for flow cheapo wildcat pods used to be one of the best flowing in flow bench testing

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
K&N pods are know to not flow as much as a K&N panel filter theres lots of pod filters that **** all over K&N for flow cheapo wildcat pods used to be one of the best flowing in flow bench testing
Filtration tests on the same units?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Anymore pics of this mate ?

nahh, sorry mate. that was a quick MS paint sketch i did for someone else a while ago. basically what you want to do is seal the mouth of the intake off from the under bonnet area and prevent hot air getting in there when the vehicle is stationary or moving very slowly. i run a MACE enclosed POD filter on mine and i know with the testing i did (of both set-ups) which works better in my car/situation.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Also in that pic i would prob cover the gap between the otr and the front body to direct air right into the otr

no, that makes it worse. we removed that strip and the inlet temps came down. by removing that strip, the air from the high pressure area in front of the radiator is forced up to the mouth of the intake

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh kk makes sense lol, thats why ur the expert here and not me :p

no expert, we just ####ed around with it a bit to see what worked best before i put the MACE stuff in. for real world day to day use in completely stock form the L67 intake on VR/VS models is puss at best in stop start traffic but not to bad on long trips with lots of high way driving. removing just that plastic strip means it gets cool air as soon as you start moving and you can see the inlet temps drop when you have the laptop hooked up.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Here is a picture of my old intake, i cut it back to the ribs about 1inch to open it up, then got the hair dryer on it with a block of wood to open it up even more. I also took the rubber flap off on the bonnet of the vn to make sure flow was spot on.

Attachments

• Bigger CAI.jpg
    Bigger CAI.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 219

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
Good testing there bud.

As i have always felt, LPG is purely for budget motoring when you use the mixer ring/ cone setups. They will never make power as they create a huge restriction in the intake path. A restriction very much like what i heard about the V8 brutes a few years ago (VU? series) they made much better power than the ford 302(?) so they put a restrictor 'ring' in the intake to cap the LS1s a few kw?? Anyway, in your situation, if you want to make similar power on LPG (as is on petty) you have to look at a direct injection setup. Something that i would be interested in trialing on my race car.

As for the CAI systems. The problem with enclosed pods is that they soak heat in the box. The OTR's do this also hence it comes down to which one can continuously flow the most efficiently while driving to negate the heat soaking effects.

I have tried both SC6 and enclosed pod setups. Nothing wrong with the SC6 cai as it looked stock and tidy. But as most v6 owners were doing this same mod, i chose to try a different setup for individuality and (imo) a neater look again. I tried the enclosed pod with a metal box, small 90mm air feed in the guard. Neat look but soaked heat badly. I developed it further.... Heat resistant matting on the inside of the box, and also a larger cutout in the guard (the size of a panel filter) and a scoop facing the front behind the bumper. i know not many ppl are keen on cutting holes, but this one is not visible at all and its not a load bearing panel. This setup provides consistant power on the dyno. Probably due to it pulling air purely from outside the engine bay, without and restriction

Though it was a lot of mucking about, i now have a cai system that im happy with and has made a gain... if only 4-5 kw (with back to back testing). I can easily pull the headlight out at the drags to have a direct cold air charge to the pod.

Dont know if this will help much.. but its a slice of my knowledge

Your quite right about LPG being for budget motoring with an IMPCO or gas ring N/A setup - but there are other mixers out there - one being an Airod Variable if your lucky enough to have one or a Blos mixer - lucky me I have both on different cars & there is no real restriction at all - with very little loss of power as well. Fuel consumption is improved as well.