Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tezza’s ZB V 2.0 - Sanity

BrettP75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais S1 6.0Ltr
The ZB may have been more popular if an 8 cylinder option was available

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
And built in Aussie.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The fact was the cruze comment did exactly as intended and that was to hit a nerve within you because you are desperate to join the commodore club and claim yours is the best.
The fun fact here is that Tezza would have done perfectly fine in joining the Commodore club if he wouldn’t have just been constantly banging on about how his ZB is the best Commodore in the universe (which only invites criticism of such).

I personally think my VE SSV is the best V8 Commodore as it has the L98 (reduces the potential for lifter problems that the AFM Commodores can get) and it doesn’t have all the tech of the VF that is difficult to fix if it goes wrong (I prefer the more aggressive styling too). I don’t spend all day banging on about it though and even spend a lot of my time on here helping others out with their car problems.

At the end of the day everyone thinks their car is the best car for them as they wouldn’t have bought it otherwise so sh!tting all over everyone else’s car choices by constantly spruiking that yours is the best isn’t going to ingratiate you to anyone.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The fun fact here is that Tezza would have done perfectly fine in joining the Commodore club if he wouldn’t have just been constantly banging on about how his ZB is the best Commodore in the universe (which only invites criticism of such).

I personally think my VE SSV is the best V8 Commodore as it has the L98 (reduces the potential for lifter problems that the AFM Commodores can get) and it doesn’t have all the tech of the VF that is difficult to fix if it goes wrong (I prefer the more aggressive styling too). I don’t spend all day banging on about it though and even spend a lot of my time on here helping others out with their car problems.

At the end of the day everyone thinks their car is the best car for them as they wouldn’t have bought it otherwise so sh!tting all over everyone else’s car choices by constantly spruiking that yours is the best isn’t going to ingratiate you to anyone.

I actually agree, The VE's just look right. The VF tail lights really kill it for me. In a VF I'd take the wagon over the Sedan any day of the week. It's a real shame about the LS3's and the issues.

Personally, I prefer a Commodore with a 304 under the bonnet. Sure it's not the most powerful donk about but they just sound right and still have more than enough grunt (with a few basic mods) to break all the major road rules/laws.....

TeePee53

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV

I agree, I had a VE SSV, best car I have owned, much better than the VY and VZ SS I had before it, the VY was very rough to drive long distances , where as the VE SSV drove and was far more comfortable. surprisingly to most commenting here , my current vehicle, a ZB RSV is the second best car I have owned. In some ways the ZB is a much better car as it should be as it is 12 years younger with much better technology. My only doubts on the ZB is will it be as reliable over time. So far in 33,000km I have only had an issue with the fuel gauge. The AWD is outstanding as is the 9 speed transmission, very smooth and rides well. The V6 is very good on fuel and good power. I hate the continental tyres, very noisy on rough surfaces.

The back seat width is a bit cramped compared to previous cars, the liftback is far more accomodating to fitting things in.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I agree, I had a VE SSV, best car I have owned, much better than the VY and VZ SS I had before it, the VY was very rough to drive long distances , where as the VE SSV drove and was far more comfortable. surprisingly to most commenting here , my current vehicle, a ZB RSV is the second best car I have owned. In some ways the ZB is a much better car as it should be as it is 12 years younger with much better technology. My only doubts on the ZB is will it be as reliable over time. So far in 33,000km I have only had an issue with the fuel gauge. The AWD is outstanding as is the 9 speed transmission, very smooth and rides well. The V6 is very good on fuel and good power. I hate the continental tyres, very noisy on rough surfaces.

The back seat width is a bit cramped compared to previous cars, the liftback is far more accomodating to fitting things in.
Like you, just over 30,000 km's and no issues whatsoever which is pretty remarkable considering my Calais V is chock a block with technology.
I'm often seeing other German made vehicles such as BMW's and Mercedes-Benz's being recalled for a wide range of reasons and yet not one fault, recall, sensor issue or technical issue in more than 2 years and 30,000 km's and no oil consumption whatsoever. 4WD is a great thing in winter on slippery roads and torque vectoring a fabulous thing in the twisties and the 9 speed auto is a real peach 99% of the time.
I think some people love to hate on the ZB because simply because it wasn't made in Australia.
In my opinion its a very good car for pretty modest cost.