Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TH350 transmission

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
hey!
some one told me on this forum that a TH350 trans was the same dimensions - ie: length.
as a trimatic and should be able to use the same tailshaft from the trimatic in a vh!
The t350 is 110mm bl##dy longer.

Wat crossmembers are suited to fit a th350 in a vh commodore?

or should i not ask as some people dont know what they are talkin about on here!

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
hey!
some one told me on this forum that a TH350 trans was the same dimensions - ie: length.
as a trimatic and should be able to use the same tailshaft from the trimatic in a vh!

or should i not ask as some people dont know what they are talkin about on here!

Rare Spares do a crossmember for them.

Hey atleast it was longer, it's easier to shorten a tailshaft then to lengthen it.

I would lose the attitude tho aye, it won't get ya nowhere!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
hey!

Lol doesnt say much about yourself if you believe everything people tell you. In my experience Just because you read on the internet doesnt make you an expert. Practical knowledge is worth 5 times as much

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Rare Spares do a crossmember for them.

Hey atleast it was longer, it's easier to shorten a tailshaft then to lengthen it.

I would lose the attitude tho aye, it won't get ya nowhere!
cheers for the rare spares info...i had a feeling they did them but hadnt had a chance to check em out!

theres isnt any attitude! people shouldnt comment to questions they really dont know the answer for! would u answer someones question if u didnt know the answer?.... i know i wouldnt!
thanks anyway

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Lol doesnt say much about yourself if you believe everything people tell you. In my experience Just because you read on the internet doesnt make you an expert. Practical knowledge is worth 5 times as much
"Practical knowledge is worth 5 times as much" in deed it is...but thing that gets me is the fact people answer questions that they dont know the answer for...as i said above. and never dealing with a th350 before i thort i mite come and ask a few questions.... i dont really care that its longer......but i had not 1 but more than 4 people tell me it was a direct changeover, so u tend to think they are right!

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
castlemaine rod shop (CRS) also sell crossmembers.

i dunno what the go is with your T350 being longer than the trimatic, i'm pretty sure i was one of the blokes who said it would fit up ok. i know when i did the swap in a vh sle that was still running the original factory 308/trimatic i had to use an adaptor plate, say 1/2 inch thick. and my stock tailshaft still fitted but only just.

i just went and measured up a T350 and a trimatic of unknown origin, from the top centre of the bellhousing face to the end of the extension housing is 725-730mm on both. j-man is your trimatic shorter or T350 longer than this?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I think i can solve this mystery...There are about 4 different extension housings (that i know of) on a TH350, they're all different lengths. Pretty sure the shortest is the same length as a Trimatic, obviously all the rest are longer. It's quiet possible that the OP has a long extension housing TH350. Hence the problems with the tailshaft being too long.

OP, no need to be a smartarse mate, remember at the end of the day you're asking on an open forum, no one knows everything....

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
castlemaine rod shop (CRS) also sell crossmembers.

i dunno what the go is with your T350 being longer than the trimatic, i'm pretty sure i was one of the blokes who said it would fit up ok. i know when i did the swap in a vh sle that was still running the original factory 308/trimatic i had to use an adaptor plate, say 1/2 inch thick. and my stock tailshaft still fitted but only just.

i just went and measured up a T350 and a trimatic of unknown origin, from the top centre of the bellhousing face to the end of the extension housing is 725-730mm on both. j-man is your trimatic shorter or T350 longer than this?
The t350 is 800mm from top centre to end of the casing.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
I think i can solve this mystery...There are about 4 different extension housings (that i know of) on a TH350, they're all different lengths. Pretty sure the shortest is the same length as a Trimatic, obviously all the rest are longer. It's quiet possible that the OP has a long extension housing TH350. Hence the problems with the tailshaft being too long.

OP, no need to be a smartarse mate, remember at the end of the day you're asking on an open forum, no one knows everything....
cheers for the info its 800mm in overall length...just out of curiosity..what does the term OP stand for?
didnt intend on being a smartass when posting....but once i read it after the fact i does kinda seem that way