Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

th700 behind a VS ECOTEC

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
so basically the story goes...

my dad found me another vs for 300 bucks.. no rego straight as.. what a steal!!

PROBLEM: i was originally told the box is cactus so i proceeded to pull my 4l60e out of the wrecked vs ive got in the yard. later on i found out that it in fact doesn't have a f@%ked 4l60e (the stock auto in a vs v6), it has been replaced with a th700 from an earlier model commodore. apparently the previous owner had it repaired at a workshop and the bloody clown put the wrong 'box in it. then wondered why it wouldn't work properly.

so my question is.. since the th700 is a hydraulically controlled version of the 4l60e, could i still use it and simply trick the computer into thinking that its running a manual?? or would it be too much hassle.. cos i really cant be bothered doing all that #### under a car being held up by a scissor jack and some blocks of fire wood again lol

abfab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe S2
so basically the story goes...

my dad found me another vs for 300 bucks.. no rego straight as.. what a steal!!

PROBLEM: i was originally told the box is cactus so i proceeded to pull my 4l60e out of the wrecked vs ive got in the yard. later on i found out that it in fact doesn't have a f@%ked 4l60e (the stock auto in a vs v6), it has been replaced with a th700 from an earlier model commodore. apparently the previous owner had it repaired at a workshop and the bloody clown put the wrong 'box in it. then wondered why it wouldn't work properly.

so my question is.. since the th700 is a hydraulically controlled version of the 4l60e, could i still use it and simply trick the computer into thinking that its running a manual?? or would it be too much hassle.. cos i really cant be bothered doing all that #### under a car being held up by a scissor jack and some blocks of fire wood again lol

Hey mate how did ya go with the above?

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
really old thread.
dunno why nobody answered it....
in his situation, I would have chucked on the t/v cable and bracket from an earlier vn/vp commodore and popped a manual memcal into the ecu and tried to have it up and running that way.

abfab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe S2
really old thread.
dunno why nobody answered it....
in his situation, I would have chucked on the t/v cable and bracket from an earlier vn/vp commodore and popped a manual memcal into the ecu and tried to have it up and running that way.

dunno why nobody answered it either hey mate, was interested though