Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TH700

Retro1963

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais
Hi I have just purchased a VR commodore Ute With a series II 3800 and a TH700 auto gearbox, the issue is I have no speedo working, I have swapped the cluster out of a working vehicle and got the same result. Is it missing a harness or something does it require a VN PCM as I was told it was out of a VN as it has a kick down cable, any help would be greatly appreciated as i am in the dark here.

Cheers Ron.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you have a VN auto you are going to have issues. You really need a 4l60e but there's two different transmission plugs on the VR, I think from memory there's two pins difference. So you need to count the pins on the harness.

H

harrop.senator

1 pin difference. 12 pin grey plug from a 4hhd or hdd can't remember the V6 numbers. 13 pin 5hhd/HDD . You can run a vs or newer box with a pwm stake.

I thought the speed signal sensors were the same between the two though.

I'd try find what pins are for the speed sensor and do a continuity test to make sure the signals going to the cluster first.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Either got to convert vr to think it's manual setup except it will have th700 fitted up.

Probably easier to find correct auto for it than find all stuff needed for th700 to work in a vr.

Retro1963

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais
If you have a VN auto you are going to have issues. You really need a 4l60e but there's two different transmission plugs on the VR, I think from memory there's two pins difference. So you need to count the pins on the harness.
Thanks for that i have got the shift point sorted via the kick down cable box performing as it should probably will do better after a service, as for the speedo drive everything is plugged up bolted up as it should be all electrical connections marry up so i am going to try a new modulator / sensor unit and see what happens, as for now the daughter is using a GPS speed app it is not a solution but it solves the problem for now cheers for the input will post end result after fitting new speedo modulator transponder drive or whatever the dam thing is called. :p

Reactions: Lex

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You'll need vss & loom out of vn/p then tap into wire to speedo...it may also be wrong as vn/p have divide by 5 thing could end up needing corrector.

Other thing is may get faults or stalling no vss to ecu.

Hence above saying need to trick it into thinking it's got a manual or just fit correct auto.

Kickdown should work like it's supposed as long as bracket on throttle body is same as vn/p.