Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

That bloody ringing noise from the engine...

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
I dont know about you guys... but everytime I pull up the lights and another VT or VS with those ecotec v6's come up and they come to a complete stop this ringing from the engine starts... i dont remember ever having the issue with my car but recently I have noticed this.

I'm just wondering... is the ringing noise something that can be stopped? I feel like its not supposed to do it (and maybe it isnt) and if there's way to stop it? - or have ecotec's always been like that?.. when the vt is in nuteral it isnt so bad, its whenever im in D or R and at a complete stop does it make this noise and like i said Ive heared lots of other VT's and VS's that make it too.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
yer man just disconnect the phone

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
.... lol -.- come on seriously its annoying me and i want to get rid of it!

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
how many km has your car done?

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
220k, I'm 2nd owner and brought it when it was on 100k - u think its just age in general?

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
could be a varity of things, like tensioner for the timing chain has the plastic broken off and its rubbing on the metal spring, thats the only thing that jumps to mind so early in the morning

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I'm pretty sure the noise he's talking about is that hollow light jingling noise those motors make at idle in gear, it's my understanding that the noise is just the belt tensioner assembly jingling away. Apply copious amounts of tec2 or wd40 to spring mechanism perhaps? I can't say I mind the noise myself.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Sounds like idler pulleys to me they make a ringing noise when dry, i would just spray some sort of spray lubricant on it, like WD-40. be carefull not to get this stuff on the belt as it might make it slip or squeal.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
i think that fixed it, well at least the loudness anyway... thanks

kovini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Exec. Wagon
the wd is a cheap fix. until the bearing seizes, or explodes. (seen this a few times!). What you need to do is either replace the pulley (about $40 a piece), or repack them.

I regularly repack these pulleys. it takes about 20 minutes for the three (probally 2 hrs if you have never repacked a bearing before). Usually, I do this about every 30,000k. If they are squealing though, there is probably damage in the bearing, requiring replacement. They only take a few minutes to replace. I will post an illustrated how to next time I do a pair.

the process is fairly simple though. remove pulley, degrease, remove bearing seals from both sides carefully, degrease, when clean, clean with thinners to remove degreaser, and allow to dry. dont use thinners on the seals. check the condition of the bearings, and provided they are ok, and not noisy (rumbling) or feel rough, pack bearings from both sides with a good quality grease, I use red hi temp wheel bearing grease, and work into bearings, before replacing seals. clean excess grease from pulley with a clean cloth, and re-check before replacing pulley in engine.

You can usually get around 3-4x the life expectancy from the pulleys by regular maintained. every oil check, check them also for roughness. you really don't want one to explode in the middle of nowhere.

I hope this helps.