Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

That New Car Smell

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Surprisingly our WN 2013 MY14 Caprice V has still that new car Smell after 6 years. Yes its about 60% still there but I wondering if you can get the same smell today via a spray or something else to bring it back like what it was NEW. Now I have purchsed other Brand NEW Holden before but never has retrained the smell like the Caprice has considering that I only had it for 7 months so why does it still smell like new or what can I buy to make it better than what it is now.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Mine's about 32%.

There are many products available on the market that allegedly offer a 'new car smell', do a search then trial them to find the right one.

Quote:
Unfortunately, sometimes things that smell good aren't good for you. According to Chemical & Engineering News, new car smell is created when volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from the adhesives and sealants used in car manufacturing emit noxious gas into the passenger compartment, something known as off-gassing.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
60 % ?

How did you measure that hahahahha
I used my Fart Meter. I bet there is a few member here would like to know about this, I cant be the only member that has inquired about this

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine's about 32%.

There are many products available on the market that allegedly offer a 'new car smell', do a search then trial them to find the right one.

Quote:
Unfortunately, sometimes things that smell good aren't good for you. According to Chemical & Engineering News, new car smell is created when volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from the adhesives and sealants used in car manufacturing emit noxious gas into the passenger compartment, something known as off-gassing.

Interesting!! I dont want our car to be over 100% ridicules smell. I would like to go from 60% to 70% and yet since they have them (I did not know about this) I would like to have the same smell like original on all VF and WN around that time.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Quote:
Yes hot days bring the smell out

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Yes, I have that aroma in my VF too (not farts, but a perennial fresh, "new car" smell!
It's an impressive change from the filthy sock smell that populated the VZ, and the rotten bananas that despoliated the long-serving redoubtable Toyota CSi wagon (VP Commodore-cross) long before it!

Other than vacuum the interior each week, it doesn't need anything to keep it new car-like. That fresh "straight from the showroom" aroma has been spoken of by several passengers who have been carried a few times. It might be built in to the upholstery. Or just kept very clean (as the previous owners certainly did).

Hot days may bring the smell out, but they will also release gases from plastics, like the dash and haze he windscreen and windows.

Enhanced smell or not, I don't leave my car in the hot sun anywhere now (nor in the driveway: I come home and its place is in the garage, not in the street). When out and about in scorching sun, I usually offer a small financial bribe to other drivers to vacate a shady spot so I can move in.