Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The 1968 Chevy Impala

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
You summed it up pretty well.

Yeah, my nephew does classic/high end restorations and won't touch anything less than a devilbiss or SATA 5000 thats like $1500-2000 etc and will only recommend the best. My argument to him is, you need them to perform perfectly every day for however many decades you plan to do this with no downtime.

The average person at home doing a restoration might pick up the gun once every 5-10 years, it's just not justified buying something top of the line thats going to spend 99% of it's life in a drawer.

It's people in trades like that who scare off people having a go themselves because they get in their head and try and convince them you need the best of the best equipment to do one car etc or don't even bother. When in actual fact practice and patience will yeild a better result than just going out and buying something expensive you don't know how to use.

It's all about getting in the shed and having a go, I've done everything on my car myself inc engines, diffs, paint, panel etc...it just comes down to practice and with Youtube etc these days you can get more than enough information than you'll ever need on the job at hand.

I reckon these days I can get more useful hands on information from watching professional's doing something on youtube than I ever learned out of a text book at trade school back in the day.

To the OP, while it might seem intimidating to start with, just watch a few hours of rust repair etc on youtube and you'll find it's not actually difficult, just a bit of practice etc.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A professional welder will always tell you that you need to spend thousands to get a quality job. Same as how a painter will tell you that you need a $1500 spray gun and won't accept anything less.

For home use and home restorations any mig thats above about 130a and does gas is going to be perfect.

IMO the quality of the job and the finish comes down to the workmanship more than the tools.
Had this discussion with our tiler. He is the best tiler in WA. (He is actually really fkn good).
Anyone can be a tradesman. The difference in getting a good job is having a craftsman do it. Someone who is exceptional because they are highly skilled and also apply the skill with great pride and care.

He is a “craftsman, not a tradie.”

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
A professional welder will always tell you that you need to spend thousands to get a quality job. Same as how a painter will tell you that you need a $1500 spray gun and won't accept anything less.

For home use and home restorations any mig thats above about 130a and does gas is going to be perfect.

IMO the quality of the job and the finish comes down to the workmanship more than the tools.
Yes, i agree. i think the skill can not be replaced. A horrible driver in a Ferrari is still a horrible driver. Grandpa already gave me some tough leather gauntlets so the gloves a good, now the rest will come soon enough if i really need to use it............. still low key hoping there is no rust.. but hey, i will find out eventually

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, my nephew does classic/high end restorations and won't touch anything less than a devilbiss or SATA 5000 thats like $1500-2000 etc and will only recommend the best. My argument to him is, you need them to perform perfectly every day for however many decades you plan to do this with no downtime.

The average person at home doing a restoration might pick up the gun once every 5-10 years, it's just not justified buying something top of the line thats going to spend 99% of it's life in a drawer.

It's people in trades like that who scare off people having a go themselves because they get in their head and try and convince them you need the best of the best equipment to do one car etc or don't even bother. When in actual fact practice and patience will yeild a better result than just going out and buying something expensive you don't know how to use.

It's all about getting in the shed and having a go, I've done everything on my car myself inc engines, diffs, paint, panel etc...it just comes down to practice and with Youtube etc these days you can get more than enough information than you'll ever need on the job at hand.

I reckon these days I can get more useful hands on information from watching professional's doing something on youtube than I ever learned out of a text book at trade school back in the day.

To the OP, while it might seem intimidating to start with, just watch a few hours of rust repair etc on youtube and you'll find it's not actually difficult, just a bit of practice etc.
yeah, i get where you are coming from. the internet is a great source of information and can certainly be used in this case, i have seen a few videos on it, but i need to watch more to get a better understanding of it. as a visual learner, i have always struggled in school because the learning was by text mainly and never physically showing me. but i got by...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Looks stock to me ...........................Google images for a 1965 Chev Impala steering wheel.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks stock to me ...........................Google images for a 1965 Chev Impala steering wheel.
i was thinking of going custom, but i like the look of this one. will check that out. maybe go searching for some other ones as well

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Me personally have found by actually doing these sorts of things with someone that knows what they are doing looking over my shoulder has been more beneficial that reading a book or watching a video....

So yep, practice is what is required to achieve the results you are chasing...

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Me personally have found by actually doing these sorts of things with someone that knows what they are doing looking over my shoulder has been more beneficial that reading a book or watching a video....

So yep, practice is what is required to achieve the results you are chasing...
yes, being taught face to face is valuable and can go far. i prefer this method