Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the 4.9 second challenge

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Mine has allways ran identical times from track 1/8th mile converted to 60 mph and gtech 60 mph. Allways identical. I reckon if you put a track 1/8th mile time in there (which will be alot lower in mph than the 1/8th mile the modern gtech gives of course) you will see that's what it runs within a couple percent, it's very accurate. Mack I dunno what drugs you used to get 4.2 :) you need to use a 1/8th mile time slip. The other calculators are for drag cars with ideal gearing etc and pointless for a street car.

Immortality, you will be able to use that calculator to reverse engineer your 1/8th mile ET and gtech 60 mph ET to find out what your track 1/8th mile mph would be (I'd guess about 3mph less than it shows on the gtech)
I ran the calc for 1/4 mile Foam, then from the 1/4 mile time and speed I used the 1/4 mile to 1.8 mile convertor on that site which is where I got the 1/8 Mile time.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Too much margin for error when really the only thing you know is how much it weighs. Once you have a drive at the track and know the 1/8th mile time it will work out fine then

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Immortality, you will be able to use that calculator to reverse engineer your 1/8th mile ET and gtech 60 mph ET to find out what your track 1/8th mile mph would be (I'd guess about 3mph less than it shows on the gtech)

reverse calculating using the calculators on that site it says my 0-60mph time should be 6.7 which is fairly close to what i actually run and i've not yet managed to get it to hook up with anyhting more then about 2000-2500rpm so IF i ever get traction (not likely on 195/70/14's) i'd run a better time easy with a few more RPM on launch. now that i seem to have improved traction with the suspension upgrade it might be time for a few more runs

it's best to base calculations on MPH as it takes a certain amount of HP to push an object at a certain speed (making a geustimate of air resistance) where as calculations based on ET are for ideal ratio's with perfect traction etc and we all know that never happens on road cars

Last edited:

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
how are yous having this timed ?

I dont have a gtech, but i used one of those GPS speed thingys that tells you 0-100, 1/4mile etc. Also to make sure it was correct we did our own distance/time trails and it was basically the same

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Using the site foamy listed mine works to a 6.49 based on my best 1/8th mile run. This was before the tune, CAI and throttle so be interesting to see what it does now.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i like those calculators, it says with 100hp nitrous i should drop into the high 12sec bracket and be sub 4.99 0-60 mph. i think 100hp nitrous should be do-able on a stock buick V6 with a few little safety devices built into the system

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I know this is off topic because it's not a Commodore......however, my Torana (which weighs just on 1300kg less driver) based on my 1/4 mile time & MPH, using the calculators on that site i would run 4.81 0-60. That was with a completely stock L67 with just a 10 psi pulley. Anyone know what a VN V6 exec weighs for comparison???

I need to get me a Gtech to see what it would run now......

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I know this is off topic because it's not a Commodore......however, my Torana (which weighs just on 1300kg less driver) based on my 1/4 mile time & MPH, using the calculators on that site i would run 4.81 0-60. That was with a completely stock L67 with just a 10 psi pulley. Anyone know what a VN V6 exec weighs for comparison???

I need to get me a Gtech to see what it would run now......

a base model VN V6 exec is just over 1300kg from memory

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS