Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Army

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Hey guys im 3/4 of the way in being accepted into the army.I have my assessment day on tuesday.Just wondering is anybody in the army and some advise for my assessment day.

Just got accepted as an ARA Officer. So I've been through all that stuff fairly recently.

As for you assessment day.
Know everything abot your role and corps. Seeing as you're going Arty, be able to talk in depth about all the equipment you'll be using. Basically memorise and be able to discuss everything on the DFR site. Know your role.

You'll have a psych. Exercise a bit of common sense and know 100% why you want to join and know about army life. They want to know that you'll fit in when living in close quarters in a macho alpha male environment. Speak to a current serving member, ring Simpsons Barracks or a Uni regiment for that.

Also, call your case manaer from an in depth phone interview. He'll give you the good oil.

Most importantly, don't let DFR Medical screw you around. Many applicants are lost in their bullshit, don't let it be you.

Good luck.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Yeah, both on operation and on exercise.

Good advise from Shounak there

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Back when i was in...yes you had to be really fit, otherwise it was a massive shock. Those days are well gone now...no longer can you be hit and punished harshly like the days of old.

I would suggest working on running and upper body...oh also make sure you like swimming...the swimming circuits are a bitch especially dodging vomit lol.

Hahaha. I've talked to numerous people who've finished Pooks. Fitness is no longer a pre-requisite. A lot of people de-train by going there. A mate of mine (also in Arty at Woodside) lost fitness and muscle from ole Pookie.

One less thing I have to worry about going in as an O.

VZ06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport Kit
Thanks for the advise.How many people will be in the interview room, is it just 1on1?

Any ideas on how to stop being nervous?Coz i am peeing myself just thinking about it lol?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the advise.How many people will be in the interview room, is it just 1on1?

Any ideas on how to stop being nervous?Coz i am peeing myself just thinking about it lol?

The interview will just be you. But be prepared to wait for long periods. Bring a book or iPod. You'll have possibly hours of waiting in between medical, psych etc.

I'm pretty sure for OR's the interviews are conducted by WO's (double check with DFR on that). If you know about ranks and ADF, you'll know that WO's are tough and love their ADF.

About not being nervous. Imagine you're a soldier in full uniform representing Australia. Stand tall, sit upright, speak confidently, look him in the eye, shake his hand firmly and don't umm, uhh at all. Be 100% certain of every answer you give.

Pause a second after each question and smash the answer.

Everything is recorded and these people are experts on reading people. So have confidence in your ability, you've only got about 30-45 minutes to demonstrate that you're the right man for the job.

I saw people get rejected on my assessment day because they were too unsure of themselves and the WO didn't think army would suit them. Just think, if you saw a video of yourself, would you give yourself the job?

I'd suggest having a chat to minux too. He knows his **** and will give it to you straight up, something which random people over the phone won't do.

VZ06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport Kit
Ahh ok awsome.There is so many thoughts in my head about what they will and wont ask.Also on assessment day is there maths tests and that kinda stuff?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing at all. The aptitude test on your YOU day was where the maths ended.

DFR sent you a YOU sesion prep pack. That has a list of questions and that's all that will be asked. Call your case manager now and ask for a phone interview booking. The defence interview will only ask that.

They assume you'll know the answers to every question, it's a bare minimum. They look at YOU, not your answers.

The process is very easy for OR's. They'll just ask you the list of questions as listed on the sheet.

If the following is news to you. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

• Do I really want to be a soldier, sailor, airman or officer?
• Why do I want to be a soldier, sailor, airman or officer?
• Do I have the right academic qualifications and personal traits to be become a soldier, sailor, airman or officer?
• Do I know the role and can I cope with the responsibilities?
• Do I know the training process?
• How much do I know about military life in general?
• How will my lifestyle be affected by joining the Defence Force?
• Do I understand the enlistment/appointment conditions of service?
• What does my family or partner think about my application?
• Can I offer unrestricted service?
• The training required to qualify in your job, including basic/officer training and initial job training.
• The role and job description in detail and in your own words.
• The base location relevant to your job and the basic types of equipment you will be using.
• Understand why you want the role and that particular service.

As part of the selection process you will be required to undertake an interview with a Defence Interviewer. You should have an understanding of the following:

• Where and how long is your basic/officer training?
• What will you learn at basic/officer training and what will the training environment be like?
• Where and how long is your job training?
• What type of equipment might you use?
• How long will you enlist/appoint for?
• Where are the military bases that you may be posted to after training?
• What Corp (Army), Muster (Air Force), or Category (Navy) will you belong to?
• What are the main functions of the role you are applying for? How is the combat role related to this?
• What are the potential operating environments for your job role?
• What are the employment conditions for this job role – positive and negative.
• What are the pay entitlements for basic/officer/job training and once qualified?
• What is the ADF policy on non-medical use of drugs?
• A general understanding of what Service life is like.
• What leave entitlements will you have?
• What is the Pre Enlistment Fitness Assessment?

Please Note: The above questions are only a guide. It is the minimum standard of knowledge we expect you to have. It is in your best interest to study as much relevant information as possible to prepare for the interview. See pages 13 and 16 of this document for a list of useful web sites where you will be able to access this information.

VZ06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport Kit
Yeah mate my caase manager already emailed me that.Ive been studying it all and also studying my job preference.She rung me the other day and we had an interview over the phone

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you nailed that interview without having the info in front of you.

You'll do just fine.

Hopefully we'll be wearing the same uniform soon.

VZ06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport Kit
I went reasonably well she told me.Where did you do your assessment day?Im doing mine in canberra, i live only an hour and 15mins from kapooka lol