Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Army

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Melbourne.

Forget reasonably well. Look, cover, write, check if you have to. Applications have gone through the roof, if you get 5 guys before you who know the answers, who's going to get the job?

Like it says in the document, it's a minimum. Call Woodside and talk to someone there and get your answers 110%.

Send me a PM with anything else, this is turning into a chatroom now.

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
My bro is at kapooka now, he marches out early June. I dunno much about the **** he went through to get there. He was goin for a run every morning too get his fitness up for about the 4mnths before hand, and he said the first week there they pushed him to the point of puking :p He passed his shooting exam this week too. I think he's going for infantry.

He was meant to go there for 3mnths then come home for 2 weeks before being shipped off to whereever. But when he got there they said he's being shipped off str8 after training, so we have to drive up there to see him before he leaves. Apparently there's a good chance he's goin to afghanistan.

Good luck with it anyhow mate, hope all goes well for ya.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
He was meant to go there for 3mnths then come home for 2 weeks before being shipped off to whereever. But when he got there they said he's being shipped off str8 after training, so we have to drive up there to see him before he leaves. Apparently there's a good chance he's goin to afghanistan.

If he is infantry he will then spend time at IET(Initial Employment Training) which is at School of Infantry, Singleton, this is another 3 months training. Then you get shipped off to your battalion where you will do all your typical induction stuff. Generally lids will not be sent straight over for combat roles until the battalion does further training.

mcrow5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
As for you assessment day.
Know everything abot your role and corps. Seeing as you're going Arty, be able to talk in depth about all the equipment you'll be using. Basically memorise and be able to discuss everything on the DFR site. Know your role.

You'll have a psych. Exercise a bit of common sense and know 100% why you want to join and know about army life. They want to know that you'll fit in when living in close quarters in a macho alpha male environment. Speak to a current serving member, ring Simpsons Barracks or a Uni regiment for that.

Also, call your case manaer from an in depth phone interview. He'll give you the good oil.

Most importantly, don't let DFR Medical screw you around. Many applicants are lost in their bullshit, don't let it be you.

excellent advice here, i just went through my process for the navy. basically the same thing. but watch out for wierd questions. like "how will you cope if you have to kill someone?" and depending on how old you are "how will you cope with living away from home?".

now i just need to put on 8kg's damnit.

Galixia

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 CBR1000RR & G6E Turbo
i marched outta kapooka earlier this year... i have been a reservist since 2003, but changed to full time so had to do Kapooka again now compaired to when i went through in 2003 its way easy and pretty much the fitness level to pass the initial fitness test is all that is needed... i personally lost fitness being in there as they have limited the approach of fitness now... the PT there is now designed to teach proper techniques not to get you really fit...

VZ06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport Kit
Ok i need to be cleared up on something.What is a battalion and what is a regiment?

Robbo_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais II,2007 Calais V
Hi im joining the army,and ive got my you session coming up in a couple of weeks,the defence forece recruiting sent me an email inviting me to an Army information session a few days before my you session.Do you guys think it woiuld be worthwhile going to that?.Also i am applying for a job as a rifleman and im not sure whether i should start doing some cardio exercise,i currently go to thye gym 3 times a week but i only do weights, will that be enough to get me through training?Thanks in advance.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Do you think a potential career move is worth giving an extra hour of time to? I'd say it is.

Run 2.4km and see what you get. You want to run it in about 9:30 to have a good time at ole Pooks. Also get about 10 on the beep test.

SwordFish

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vZ
Forgive me for interupting the discussion, however i just wanted to ask what it is like being in a REAL LIFE combat situation? it must be really intense being exposed to life-death situations all the time through your job?

I dont know how i would cope mentally to be honest...