Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The best camshaft for a 253?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think all things considered you should keep the TQ20 it's a proven good grind for the 253 and plenty of people have had very good motors with that cam. Maybe do some porting on the heads and up the compression slightly. I had/have a standard rebuilt 253 that will see over 6500 rpm, as far as I know it's stock

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
gday again, I just want the 253 to acclerate hard as. Sound tough too. And, to scare the grannies around town lol. My vh sound tough as, I've people come to me and say that one tough V8 you have there mate!! I think to myself it's only a 6's, with .290 lift crow cam. My 202 it gets up and go, thats what I want in my 253. I suppose i have spend alot of money on that 202. I want the same for my 253. Could anyone pls give me ideal on what to make the little 253 to go hard.......Cheers Jason

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
seriously, the best thing would be to surce a 3.55 or similar diff. you will be amazed at the launch power. and the fwy milage isnt sacrificed that much. my 308, trimatic and 3.55 revs at 3000rpm at 100

a motor that revs up fast sounds tough :) fitting this diff was the best mod i have done to my VK by far.

also a few simple mods are often quite good. extractors would be a must, get a 1 inch phelonic spacer for your carb,

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Thanks for reply guys. I have been thinking alot about this, You guys have help me heaps. Giving me ideals for the 253. Thanks heaps!!:thumbsup: Couple of you guys have suggest to me to put a 308 in my vk. My missus and I agree to put a EFI V8 in the car.:bow: Now, I'm still going with the little 253 for the vh later on, when the 202 dies. Which should be in couple years..lol.. Also, How hard is to put a EFI V8 into the 'K'. I've vl tank, pump, lines. What else do i need? Just in case you guys havn't seen my vk I have load the picture of it, Please take a look for MY VK EXECUTIVE... Cheers Jason :p

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you wont be sorry about that decision. i guarantee it!!!

as far as i know the efi are all turbo transmission patterns, but am willing to be corrected. so you may have to source a trans and front section of tailshaft.

the blocks are identical. there are minor changes, like lifter bores and stress point re-inforcing, but every thing should bolt up no probs. sump, alt, pwr steer engine mounts etc.

where you are gonna encounter trouble is in the heads. the exhaust is different as all the ports are identical on efi and mirrored on carby. but you can get pacemaker headers for efi to VK off the shelf.

wiring it up is gonna be a pig of a job too. i have been thinking about doing the efi conversion, but if i did it would prolly go carby cos' i like the sound of carb :) and i wouldnt need to stuff about with map, maf, o2 etc etc etc. and still get the power boost from efi heads... and yes, there is a SIGNIFICANT power boost from stock cast heads to stock efi heads.

plus if you are thinking of keeping it legal, then all the pollution control equipment from the newer engine will have to be working. which sucks.

nice VK, the headlights are out for cold air intake right? lol.

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
ari666 lol mate, I going for a new force air intake for the little 253 man, you wouldn't believe how much power I get. lol not much motor doesn't go!! The EFI bananna hat if you remove it and put a carby setup you would gain more power. I want to do this by the books cause the locals (coppers), They don't like cars that have been done up they just keep picken and picken and picken, until you have enough :(. We are going to put extractors on the motor, and run it stock for the time been. The car will be lower at the front soon. Another question for you's will i need a engineers certificate? I do have a vn station wagon tailshaft, can i used that if I get measured,balances to fit the beast?What do i have to do to the x-member?I can get a T400 for it. The wiring job I'll get the sparkies to do it. What colour should i paint it? I have three ideals of colour, White which it is, brockie blue or jet black? Cheers Jason

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you a pdf made from web pages that covers the entire efi swap

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Thankyou for everything guys, Your help has been great, every time I'm on this website I learn more and more things about my commodores. My dream is to build a 10 sec car. One day it will come true. thanks heaps Jason.

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Thanks for that greenfoam. I've another question for you's. Whats a good cam for a EFI V8 with stock heads? the bet with my brother is still on... ok.... Cheers Jason.