Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The big 3 upgrade - advice and theory

litch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline
Just joined the forum, got quite a few questions I'm hoping the people in here might know....

Firstly - I'm looking to do a Big3 upgrade in my VE II SSV Sportswagon - but the battery is in the boot.
  • Has anyone else had experience with doing this?
  • What is the best path from the Alternator to the battery?
  • I've heard there's a lot of junctions/fuses with the existing charge cable, how have people done this? Run a whole new cable, or upgrade the existing?
  • Will the boot's battery cradle fit an Optima? What performance battery have you used?
  • I'll be using about 3-4KW of amps - has anyone had difficulty with this level of draw in the VE?

Thanks in advance, I'll be posting my box designs (2 x 15"s) and documenting the build as I go along - stay tuned.
Also in the near future: Extractor/Cat/Exhaust upgrade, then soon after that will be Heads/Cam.

Once finished, I'm hoping for a daily with 300+ at the rubber and a sound system to match.

JETURBO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF R8 SV
What's a "Big three"

OTR/EXHAUST/CAM ?

Or blown and twin turbo ?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What's a "Big three"

OTR/EXHAUST/CAM ?

Or blown and twin turbo ?

Its a upgrade to the factory battery wiring for installing audio upgrades. 1) Alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis.

And sorry OP, I can't comment on a VE electrical system, never been into one.