Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The big 3.. Using jumper cables.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hey guys i have a question regarding the big 3 and jumper cables.

After my batt to starter motor wire frayed to much and became useless i found some old jumper cables.

So i replaced the wire with that. Works great on start up, however when driving for an hour then turning the car off for 5mins then trying to start again, its like the battery is flat. I figure it to have a short somewhere or something, but turning the sound system off helps abit. Thats one of the recent problems.

The real question i have is if i can replace my grounds and alt wire with the same jumper cable. Ill prob be asked if its a thicker gauge wire, to be honest i have no idea as my car is in the shop atm. But aiming to get it back tomorrow and was planing to rewire the sound system because im not happy with all the cut and taped wires.

Has anyone done this before or should i go out and buy some 4/2/0 gauge wiring?

Cheers in advance.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Firstly check to make sure all the connections are tight.
Then check to make sure the Alternator is in good nick (check the voltage in the system at idle, It shouldn't be less the 14volts. If it is substantially less your alternator isn't doing its job).

Personally I would buy some new wire to run to the starter (Do the earth while you're at it too).
I think Zero gauge will be a little over kill, but two gauge should be alright. Might even be a little big as well. Take a battery clamp with you when you go to get it. Nothing worse then trying to jam massive wire into the battery clamp.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Welders cable is about 1/4 of the cost of car audio cable, and is essentially the same stuff, a bit less bendy but thats about it.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Cheers for the info guys, ill do it that way. I know my volts is less then 14 on idle, sometimes when idling it would drop to 12, back to 13 over and over, tap the accelerator and it stays on 13. When the sound system is on, itll drop to 11 as the sub thumps, then back to 13.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
I would go and get a an alternator of a V6 Commodore.
IIRC they're an 85amp alternator. I don't know what the VK is, but its not that.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, it should work.

Do that and replace your dodgy starter strap and you'll be apples.