Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The bitching thread for all the off topic crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Wrong, I googled it to prove Your wrong, And if you look at the connection plug on the HID you will see what size the fitting is, jaycar sell the pins loose in a bag just get them use heat shrink to protect from touching and push them in, no plug needed.

Ummmm, they are AC, never heard of 1000v DC..... They are only DC from the battery to the ballast. The ballast converts the voltage.

In fact, a car battery or any other battery releases DC voltage. It requires some additional circuits if you want to make it AC. For example, a DC battery can produce alternating current if it is paired up with an AC converter. A car battery always produces DC voltage

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Your Googling is wrong Trevor. The current at the bulb is AC I can assure you this. I might be wrong at it being a 1000v but it's well over 250v. I'd have to look on my ballasts to confirm but I thought they said something in the range of 1000v.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ok that explains why they hum and can inter-fear with radio in some vehicles, so they have a AC converter on them, my bad, still wouldn't use AC wiring to the ballast.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
still wouldn't use AC wiring to the ballast.
Nope, and I already explained that the V changes at the ballast. The cheap ballasts can interfere with radio signal, and can get worse over time. Generally a high quality product is built well and won't affect a radio.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The new technology in ballasts has come a long way and are far better than the gear sold 8 -10 years ago. Some ballasts now don't even have a warm up period.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The new technology in ballasts has come a long way and are far better than the gear sold 8 -10 years ago. Some ballasts now don't even have a warm up period.
All cool, They do come in both in what I read maybe the dc need to warm up, just a hunch as AC flickers ground to negative giving it that wave effect, I think the plug on the ballast is male pins, but I know they sell them I still have some from them they are gold colored so if you buy those and grab heat shrink for around 180c you be sweet.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All cool, They do come in both in what I read maybe the dc need to warm up, just a hunch as AC flickers ground to negative giving it that wave effect, I think the plug on the ballast is male pins, but I know they sell them I still have some from them they are gold colored so if you buy those and grab heat shrink for around 180c you be sweet.
Nup, like I said have changed my mind and won't extend the cables. Instead I will use what is there and just raise the ballasts to be closer to the bulb leads if I need too. The less joins the more reliable the units will be. I am going to ream out the holes in the casing to fit the plug through and use a grommet to protect the cables from chafing.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Nup, like I said have changed my mind and won't extend the cables. Instead I will use what is there and just raise the ballasts to be closer to the bulb leads if I need too. The less joins the more reliable the units will be. I am going to ream out the holes in the casing to fit the plug through and use a grommet to protect the cables from chafing.
Oh my god are you going through menopause? U said none of a sort here, must be in one of your 10 million other useless threads.
Stop wasting peoples time giving you advise then, stick to one forum "This is Anthony life".

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might be doing it differently now anyway. I think the more joins these 1000+v cables have the less reliable they can become. I'm probably going to use a grommet, drill the hole bigger and pass the entire plug through instead of using an extension.

Oh my god are you going through menopause? U said none of a sort here, must be in one of your 10 million other useless threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.