Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The case for AFM

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I realise a lot of members go with the vox populii and disable or delete the AFM device by default because of noise, the spectre of Eaton lifter failure, turning in trays etc., but for those looking to retain the fuel saving, emission compliance and (warranted) nature of the innovation, here's some elementary evidence of what you may be missing, based on my first 120000k's with some basic mods on an L77.
I know Eaton lifters were BAD, and plastic trays compound the reliability issue, however since MY9.5 the AC Delco replacements have been without extraordinary fail, with several dozen daily driver engines also chalking 11s and 10s, with good road manners / economy.
Note: I realise what am up against and adorn a flameproof cape, but please RTFFR (read the fricken forum rules) re: trolling technical sections before baiting.
For the sake of discussion let's keep name-calling, short knee-jerk unconstructive quips (and possible speedo error) out:
[video=youtube_share;aX-uYag1yM8]http://youtu.be/aX-uYag1yM8[/video]
First is the huge difference it makes on the open road, next is a series of highlights of a measured run with economy just not physically possible without AFM, giving an overall 12l/100km Sydney to Albury (663k) on e85.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
This is what my old school technology LS1 got on open road. I'm happy with it ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374068855.361781.jpg

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
This is what my old school technology LS1 got on open road. I'm happy with it

Agreed, what's ultimately more important than being satisfied and happy with what you've got and your lot. No matter 5.8 or 8.5 vice versa l/100k you're spot on being happy.
As with Gen IIIs, there's no need to trade economy for power or surgically remove stuff to enjoy.
Same as ever, get it breathing right, keep maintenance and tune up, and keep a regular check using the on-board seat of pants diagnostic system.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
A little test I did worked out that I would use 1L per 100km more if I disabled the AFM. Not a lot to worry about for most people.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
A little test I did worked out that I would use 1L per 100km more if I disabled the AFM. Not a lot to worry about for most people.

Agreed depends how often and what you use the car for, but most people around the city and 'burbs save 6% ($6-$9 / tank) without noticing, longer runs save between 25-30% typically.
Makes a hella difference when you fill up more than a couple of times a week, some weeks over half a dozen times...