Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

.. the Commodore is dead, its official

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Smitty, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    .. the Commodore is dead, its official

latest message from Holden about an hour ago
    and one we all expected.. eventually

Holden have announced that they will NOT
    be involved in passenger vehicles from the end of 2020

ZB Commodore and Astra.. gone, kaput!

2. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    So no SUVs or dual cab utes either hey ?

3. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Just following in Big Mumma's GM footsteps.

PS.... if Japan was LHD, what hope would we have of getting any new cars from anywhere. Sth Korea is LHD.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Commo Baba likes this.
  4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Depends where they are made it's looking like so far, is how I'm reading into it. No more GM Opels coming to Australia. Unless the Craptiva is now Opel?

5. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
    Just SUVs and dual cabs, unfortunately.

6. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    where was this announced - links plz.

losh1971 likes this.
  7. stick3

stick3 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
    its all over facebook this is from holden
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/hold...lusive-suv-and-ute-line-up/10159252286828452/

Holden announces exclusive SUV and Ute line-up

HOLDEN·TUESDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2019·5 MINUTES
    We encourage all of our followers to please read the following press release with care.
    Please direct message us with any further questions, our customer care hours are Monday – Friday: 8am – 7pm AEST. Please be conscious that due to a high volume of messages, it may take our team a little longer to respond, but we will endeavour to respond to every direct message.
    Holden is today announcing a modified portfolio dedicated exclusively to SUVs and light commercial vehicles.
    Holden Interim Chairman and Managing Director, Kristian Aquilina, said the focus of the portfolio was consistent with customer preferences, with the Acadia, Trailblazer, Equinox and Trax rounding out a comprehensive SUV portfolio; and the Colorado tackling rivals in the light commercial vehicle (LCV) segment.
    “Holden is taking this decisive action to ensure a sharp focus on the largest and most buoyant market segments.
    “So far this year SUVs and Utes have increased to 76 percent of Holden sales, a trend we only see continuing,” he said.
    The company has elected to retire the ZB Commodore and the BK Astra in 2020.
    At its peak, the large car segment in Australia accounted for 217,882 sales in 1998. This year it is projected to come in at about 8,700 units.
    The large passenger car segment declined by over 87 percent between October 2013 and October this year, with private buyers in the segment down by 93 percent in that period.
    “The SUV segment is approaching half a million units, and LCVs over 200,000 units. That’s where the action is and that’s where we are going to play,” Mr Aquilina said.
    The new Holden boss also paid tribute to the Commodore nameplate and its place in the Australian automotive industry over time.
    “The decision to retire the Commodore nameplate has not been taken lightly by those who understand and acknowledge its proud heritage,” he said.
    “The large sedan was the cornerstone of Australian and New Zealand roads for decades. But now with more choice than ever before, customers are displaying a strong preference for the high driving position, functionality and versatility of SUVs and Utes.”
    Sales and deliveries of Commodore and Astra will continue through 2020, albeit with diminishing model availability as part of an orderly runout.
    Existing Commodore and Astra customers can be assured that Holden will continue to back warranty and roadside assistance commitments, with spare parts supply guaranteed well into the future.
    In addition, all MY19 ZB Commodores and MY19 BK Astras ordered or delivered from today onwards will be subject to Holden’s market-leading seven-year free scheduled servicing offer.
    All arrangements for accessing warranty, servicing and spare parts for Holden’s entire model line-up via the Holden’s national dealer network remain the same.
    Holden will be launching the MY20 Equinox in the first quarter of 2020 followed by a significant MY21 upgrade to the highly regarded Colorado to launch in Spring. Holden will also lodge production orders to GM’s Bowling Green factory for the highly anticipated mid-engine right-hand-drive Corvette next year.
    Will Holden still honour the warranty on my new Commodore (or Astra)?
    Yes, Holden will of course honour the warranty on your new Commodore, and we will ensure the supply of spare parts for it as well. All arrangements for warranty, servicing and spare parts for both ZB Commodore and BK Astra via the Holden’s national dealer network remain the same.
    How will I get my Commodore (or Astra) serviced now Holden is closing?
    Holden is not closing, and you will still be able to get your Commodore (or Astra) serviced at your local Holden dealer. We are launching updated models next year. Holden is here for the long term.
    Does Holden really have a future in Australia without the Commodore?
    Holden is much more than any individual nameplate no matter how successful it may have been. With our design and engineering capabilities and long history in this country we are well placed to improve the drive for everyday Australians.
    Holden will be launching an MY20 Equinox in the first quarter of 2020 followed by a significant MY21 upgrade to the highly regarded Colorado to launch in Spring. Holden will also lodge production orders to GM’s Bowling Green factory for the much anticipated mid- engine right-hand-drive Corvette next year.
    Why have you discontinued the Commodore?
    The large passenger car segment declined by over 87% between October 2013 and October this year. That along with unfavourable currency exchange rates means that Commodore is no longer a viable proposition for Holden.
    Why have you discontinued the Astra?
    The Astra is an excellent vehicle but the Australian car market has changed and it is no longer a volume proposition for us. Significant investment is required now to remain in this segment beyond next year, and we cannot see a future where we compete profitably with a small car out of Europe.
    Can I still buy a Commodore (or Astra)?
    At the moment, yes, your local Holden dealer will very likely have various Commodore (or Astra) models in stock, and if not, they can order most models from us. Stocks will run out in the coming months.
    What does this mean for the future of Holden in Supercar racing?
    Holden recently re-committed to racing in Supercars through until the end of 2021, and that will happen with the currently homologated ZB Commodore race car. Racing is a strong part of Holden’s brand identity and we will assess our options as Supercars continues to evolve its rules for the next generation of cars currently due to be introduced in 2022.
    If, after reading this information you still have questions, we encourage you to contact us further via direct message.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  8. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
    "Racing is a strong part of Holden’s brand identity and we will assess our options as Supercars continues to evolve its rules for the next generation of cars currently due to be introduced in 2022"

This made me laugh... say hello to our new Colorado Supercar!

9. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    I was thinking (hoping) corvette?

VS_Pete and lmoengnr like this.
  10. Happydaze

Happydaze Happydaze

Members Ride:
    VH SLE T30
    Wouldn’t want to be a ZB owner.

11. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    Commodore was already done, ZB is no Commodore to many of us.

20 October 2017 was the real date.

BLACK-VE likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    When the iron lion was retired at the turn of the century, that was the beginning of the end.

Vin999 and losh1971 like this.
  13. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    No surprise really, it's felt like for some time that GM were trying to destroy the commodore in this country so they could justify dropping it all together. GM really haven't had much success in car selection for this country. I remember when they were rolling out the list of cars that were coming when the VF was killed off and one of the people high up said "these were the cars Australians were going to buy" or something along those lines. The whole attitude at that time was just pure arrogance and it's bit them hard, I don't believe GM really have any interest in the Aussie car market anyhow so don't really care.

Commo Baba likes this.
  14. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

They are already racing them in the superutes...(Might be wrong with what they're called)....They have about 6 rounds, interlinked with the V8 supertaxis :), so makes sense...:D

15. keith reed

keith reed Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
    With the way their sales are going it can't be too long before they shut the doors. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.
    Perhaps if they sold cars that we want rather what they want us to want then they might be in a better position

VS_Pete likes this.
  16. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I'm sure I saw some numbers the other day that showed Holden were selling more than Subaru and a number of others yet no one is sh!t canning their numbers.

Strange days indeed.

17. Vin999

Vin999 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vsedan
    The commodore will never die, it is coming back soon like the phoenix but it will be called the CHINADORE with the great american slogan ® its L.es.S or its nothing ® or ® LS the world ®

18. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    However, with buyer preferences moving to SUVs in recent years, and with the Commodore name shifting to an imported car that offered fewer unique selling points, sales fell off a cliff.

Year to date, Commodore sales are down by 37 per cent, in a market that has slumped by 8.2 per cent. For 2019, Holden expects Commodore sales to top out at around 8700 units.

The Commodore's value to Holden is also hampered by the fact it is no longer built by Holden parent General Motors.

Geez , we didn't see that coming did we!!!!
    Well we did!!!!!
    But the very smart executives at Holden and GM didn't , or did they = we don't want to sell passenger cars anymore.

19. Commo Baba

Commo Baba Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX II Acclaim Wagon.
    Really good companion class to cars that don't exist.
    The light trucks have rolling start , the tail flips out and they fall over ... as you would expect.

20. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    The way I see it, is they are going to concentrate on what the majority of market place dictates....SUV's and alikes..especially with what I read in the paper and from what I see getting around

I did see what market they were aiming at with the ZB, but unfortunately didn't succeed capturing

Time will tell, if the concentrated line up succeeds, rather than the broader base they were running with