Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The complete Vn-Vr Manual Conversion Guide.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
a vr manual ecu is the same as a vn ecu just doesnt have high speed aldl apart from that it will run a vr fine with the right tune

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
what about VR having sequential injection, different speed sensor pulse, cam angle sensor, extra o2 sensor, MAF sensor.etc? Im not arguing, just curious. or is that what you meant by "with the right tune"? ie. not simply plug and play? I just figured the VR ecu connectors would have alot more wires and possibly in different locations.

Deadack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute, VX S Sedan

VNracer34G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Production Saloon, 07Omega ex Cop car, 03 TF V6
I have seen people selling "manual starters" for much higher prices than auto ones, and recall posts on this sight of guys having dramas with them and i guess i'm about to find out.

as per the last photo the distance from the crank snout to the ring gear appears to be the same. Same tooth count and the starter bolts to the block too. Leaves two possibilities, snagging on the bellhousing? will bolt it to a bare block asap - or does it hit the step on the outside edge of the flywheel (third photo) ??

That brings me to the clutch. The smaller disc and cover are good old HOLDEN 6 for three on the tree all synchro box/ M20 6cyl. SAME SPLINE;)
If i redrill the flywheel for the smaller cover i can turn off the step and lose some weight where it is the heaviest when rotating-same benenifit with the smaller cover moving the rotating mass closer to the centre

Trade off - the finger height on the smaller cover is about 7mm lower - will make left foot braking easier by dropping the pedal a bit but wont have the same travel, HMM also lose some clamping force, HMM
Thoughts ???

Attachments

• boxes_002_small.jpg
    boxes_002_small.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 281
  • boxes_004_small.jpg
    boxes_004_small.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 297
  • boxes 010.jpg
    boxes 010.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 335
  • boxes_012_small.jpg
    boxes_012_small.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

VNracer34G

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the box in easy bolts straight up with the auto crossmember even and its not a heavy box to bench press in by yourself compared to many :thumbsup:

As for the bloody starter :bang::bang::bang: it all came out again, the snout on a manual starter must be puny as - i dont have one and they go for premium prices when you can find one, i DO have an auto starter and they plentifull and reasonably cheap - soo i figured i'd make it fit. I ground off the 'ribs' off the starter snout and marked out the bellhousing bolted to a dummy block and got busy with the die grinder as a poor substitute for a milling machine. Its a bit rough but it did the job, if it was a daily driver i'd shape up some alloy pipe and get it welded in to close ot all off again, where i have gone through i have taken out a bit further and smoothed off to reduce the chance of cracking.

Attachments

• bellhousing_mod_001small.jpg
    bellhousing_mod_001small.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 312
  • bellhousing_mod_007small.jpg
    bellhousing_mod_007small.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 328
  • bellhousing_mod_017small.jpg
    bellhousing_mod_017small.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 500
  • bellhousing_mod_018small.jpg
    bellhousing_mod_018small.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 331

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
so just to double check as i am lost...if i put a manual out of a series 1 vn into an auto series 1 vn i still need that adaptor? man can't imagine the back of the cranks being different as same motor but oh well

VNracer34G

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is no snout on the manual starter. But thats a bloody decent effort right there! :p

Ya gotta be kidding me - no snout ?? love to see a pic mate, and cheers

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
yep need the adaptor. S1 auto/manual had different cranks, S2 auto/manual were the same.

wow well scrub that idea then...friend was looking at buying a series 1 manual cause she likes the car but don't want the manual so was gonna put my series 1 auto into her's and put the manual into mine