Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Dark Side of the Rainbow/ The Wizard of Floyd

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hi all,

Anyone heard of the urban legend that Pink Floyd's classic 1973 album 'Dark Side of the Moon' is an alternate soundtrack to 'The Wizard of Oz'?

Apparently if you sync the start of the album with the start of the movie on mute, at several point the music/lyrics on the album matches the storyline and what's happening on screen.

This has got my attention as I am in a local amateur production of it, we were talking about it the other day. I have watched it and agree that at several key points it does line up.

Last edited by a moderator:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
This one has been around for yonks. The much more likely one is the song Echoes syncing up with the part of 2001: A Space Odyssey as Floyd and Stanley Kubrick had some back and forth between them. Give that one a google.

6LSSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 Series II 6 Speed SS Sportswagon
As a guitarist and player in the Gilmour style for over 40 years, I can say there are well over 300 "similarities" or "coincidences" involving DSM and Wizard of Oz.
It all depends on interpretation and/or perhaps THC ingestion.
Realise that DSM had a theme based on "absence" - as a kind of tribute to Syd Barrett who mentally checked out as a result of an acid over-indulgence.
The lyrics to "Shine on you crazy diamond" says it all.
"Wish you were here" says more.
I have an excellent doco where both Gilmour and Waters said as much.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Watch Alice in Wonderland sync'd to DSotM.
When it comes to "Run, Rabbit Run", it is hilarious.