Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Death of the Holden Ute 2016

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
Holden is partly to blame for the situation with regards to ute sales, too. Have a look at the marketing for the ute that is currently on TV and you get the idea of how the company views the ute. It's their two door sports car, not a workhorse and the production of utes is very heavily in favour of SV6 and SS models. When did you last see a basic VE or VF ute, and has Holden ever advertised their existence?

The Thai-built and other imported utes are sold predominantly as working vehicles. They have greater payloads, greater towing capacity and diesel engine options. If you're after a working ute, you'll look past the local cars for those reasons. If you want a sporty ute that doubles as transport for a trail-bike and never expect it to be part of your occupation, the Holden and Falcon utes are more likely to be your choice.

The falcon utes are still a popular option for work vehicles imo, Holden should have not dropped the one tonner. I know I'd proabably have a tonner now if they had offered it.

It is not so much the payload that limits holden utes for work I reckon, its the fact that you f*ck the sides if you aren't careful.

I'm not a tradie, but I carry a small amount around everyday for work, like irrigation gear, paint, ladders from time to time and basic tools. Its not heavy but it wouldn't fit in a dual cab either.

Many people who carry the heavy loads your talking about use builders trailers anyway, to my view a builders trailer, a diesel 4wd wagon and roof rack is the ultimate work combo.

As for me I'm considering looking at an older holden or ford that I can set up for work only, sick of filling up my good car with mud, sweat and scratches.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Give it 50 years, they probably will be rare and sort after.

Not sure on sales for the ute itself, but there were some 3/4 of a million Commodores sold VT-VZ. There must be tens of thousands of them out there.

Give it 50 years and the newer ones wont exist ! To much plastic and to many " perishable " items have gone into their construction. If there is one or two left they will be museum pieces.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I reckon the SS and Maloo utes will be very sought after in even as little as 20 not 50 years.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Give it 50 years and the newer ones wont exist ! To much plastic and to many " perishable " items have gone into their construction. If there is one or two left they will be museum pieces.

Lololol - modern plastic lasts better and rusts less than metal ever will. ;). I'd rate a VZ lasting better @ 50 than a 48-215 - HZ *ever* did/will. Style and desirability is a different question entirely.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
rare spares will be the place to go in 50 years, they buy most of the old moulds etc or just make new ones-lol

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004

LOL .....50 years time fuel to run the things won't exist.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
But News Corp Australia has been told that if Holden continues manufacturing beyond 2016 it will adopt two new "global" cars, one of which is a large front-wheel-drive sedan that will not be made into a ute.

Reading between the lines....One won't be made as a ute?
What about the other one?

Why can't they do a front-wheel-drive ute?

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
because he's a greenie who wants our auto industry killed off-imo

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR