Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Death of the Holden Ute 2016

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
The falcon utes are still a popular option for work vehicles imo, Holden should have not dropped the one tonner. I know I'd proabably have a tonner now if they had offered it.

It is not so much the payload that limits holden utes for work I reckon, its the fact that you f*ck the sides if you aren't careful.

I'm not a tradie, but I carry a small amount around everyday for work, like irrigation gear, paint, ladders from time to time and basic tools. Its not heavy but it wouldn't fit in a dual cab either.

Many people who carry the heavy loads your talking about use builders trailers anyway, to my view a builders trailer, a diesel 4wd wagon and roof rack is the ultimate work combo.

As for me I'm considering looking at an older holden or ford that I can set up for work only, sick of filling up my good car with mud, sweat and scratches.

Here's your problem. The import 4wd's are not a car that you buy because you love the look of them or that you particularly care about whether or not it gets dirty, dinged or scratched. Where as your commodore is something that you care about. Henceforth your not going to want to take your pride and joy and risk it at work everyday. Maybe they are too nice for their own good?

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Bloody shame. Who else makes a "coupe utility" with IRS? GM really do not give a **** about RWD in the 21st century.
So in a few years, I will have to pay $100,000 for a BMW or Jag if I want a RWD sedan.
Hyundai will be bringing the RWD Genesis to Australia next year (perhaps expecting Falcon to die before 2016). I bet Kia bring their RWD Quoris here too, even though it seems to be another Asian luxo-barge, perhaps some lord mayors will buy one.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The reason they are stopping production of the Holden ute is because the HOLDEN Ute is not selling anymore.

Where did you get that info from? The local Holden dealer says they cant get enough utes, and 70% are V8's. Was this more Joshua Dowling crap?

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
Where did you get that info from? The local Holden dealer says they cant get enough utes, and 70% are V8's. Was this more Joshua Dowling crap?

more than likely more scare mongering from the little t..d

if holden announced it then I would believe it,until holden does everything is just a rumour

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just to add to what I've been banging on about for months now. This is what I think the next gen Commodore will be built on:

Opel-Monza-Concept-Three-Quarter-Rear-720x340.jpg

Cadillac-Elmiraj-Concept-Three-Quarter-Front-520x245.jpg

Of course if it's built in Aus is very very much up in the air at the moment and looking less likely as each day passes :(

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Didn't think they could get much worse. I now stand corrected

Sent from my HTC One

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
bloody ugly imo,in relation to a earlier post regarding rear wheel drive cars, in the states they have mainly been fwd sedans for many years,as the American commercial for the new commodore says, first rear wheel drive Chevrolet sedan in so and so years

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
ffs - they are *NOT* the bodies that will be used. 1 is a Buick and the other is a Caddy concept. They both are sitting on what will be the next GM RWD platform and will probably carry (IMO) the Commodore range of cars. Bringing this back to topic a little - if Commodore production stays in Aus I think there is a fair chance of the ute/wagon remaining. If it goes to Canada then they will be gone.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
reap. don't post pics unless you state in big bold letters "it will only share a chassis" :thumbsup:

plus they look like concept cars. rarely do they make it to production.

I would say reap your right on the if it goes to Canada then the ute will go aswell.
maybe not the wagon though.
but then again it would depend on how much effort would be required to make the different types on the new chassis.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
reap. don't post pics unless you state in big bold letters "it will only share a chassis" :thumbsup:

plus they look like concept cars. rarely do they make it to production.

I would say reap your right on the if it goes to Canada then the ute will go aswell.
maybe not the wagon though.
but then again it would depend on how much effort would be required to make the different types on the new chassis.

Omega platform will do it, it's more about GM "want". The problem is that bof trucks make a ton of $$$ so they don't want to eat into that market too much. Cafe *might* change that in years to come though