Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

THE definitave V6 Conversion into VB, VC, VH & VK Thread (please post your knowledge)

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Hi,

I have been trawling the site for weeks and have scrounged up as much info/pics as i can on doint this conversion.
There is most of the info around (cheers VK SL 3800) but most of the rest of it is scattered here there and everywhere.
My aim is to get all of the info as to what is required to do the conversion & what is required to be changed on the recipient vehicle for the conversion to work.
Mainly after write ups & pics on the difficult stuff, Like massaging the trans tunnel to fir the 4 speed auto (Is it required, What needs to be done)?

Electrical - (can i run the entire engine loom from the computer inc fuse boxes etc)

Tailshaft - Have heard MANY different stories. (have heard that you can use a vk EFI rear end spliced with the VN/VP front end without having to cut/chop/weld the tailshaft at all, is this accurate)

Diff, Apparently the VN/VP diffs will bolt straight in (Any mods required? Will the brake lines need to be re-routed etc?)

K-Frame - Is retaining the standard (VH) setup the best?

Steering - (Modifications required if you change the k-frame etc)

Fuel Tank - (Obviously an extra fuel line is required if your car is not EFI, How to run it ETC)

Please no V6 Conversion Bashing here.

I'm trying to make this the be all and end all thread for this. I will also be posting pics of my efforts too, So if you have any pics POST THEM UP!!!

Cheers

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
With tailshafts, you use either a VN/VP front half from the donor car, if its auto you use and VN/VP auto one, and if its manual you use the VN/VP manual one.
The rear section is the confusing bit, in VB-early VK they use a salisbury diff, which has a different rear uni to the later borgwarner diffs found in late vk and vl commodores so tailshafts have different ends on them to suit the different diffs. In VB- early VK you use a V8 commodore rear section from a VB- early VK as the V8's have a larger center CV joint then the 6cyls and the V8 CV joint is the same size as a VN/VP CV joint, and just to confuse things further the early VK EFI 6 cyl has a V8 sized cv joint. keep in mind the shafts are all the same length. Then If you have a late model VK or a VL with a borgwarner you can use the rear section from any old VL as they all had the larger CV joint, you can also use a late model EFI VK rear shaft as they kept the larger CV flange but swapped the rear uni to suit the borgwarner diff.

NOTE: VK V8s were never factory fitted with borgwarner diffs, only late 6 cyls models got them. VL's were the first to be all borgwarner.

VN/VP diffs fit, but are wider and some wheels scrub ect the VN/VP diff uses the same flange for the tailshaft as the late VK/VL.
There are countless ways to wire up a V6, yes you can use the original VN/VP or whatever loom but it involves removing alot of excess wiring.
A T5 manual will fit with no massaging, most people modify there original crossmember by adding some angle iron to either side and drilling slotted holes so it all lines up perfectly.

K-frames, VN/VP whole front ends fit (as they are identical except for rack mounts and the engine mounts), VR VS k frames fit but you must fit the VB-VL suspension to it (all bolts up the same). Most people use a VN power steer rack, the splines on the rack are the same as a VL, so a VL power steer intermediate shaft connects to both the steering column and rack and is the right length. To use a Later rack (ie one with a square drive) you use a VP (VR/VS may work as well) intermediate shaft but you remove the top yolk from the shaft and fit a VB-VL yolk to suit the steering columns spline and then the other end suits the square drive on the rack. I had to file about 1mm out of the cut away in the rack head as the shaft was just a smidgen too long and the bolt wouldn't go through the original cut out.

Fuel tanks, VL-VS tanks fit, VN.VS the filler neck is a little to long and needs to be shortened a little.
Fuel lines, you can use a VK efi setup or a VL 6cyl. You could probably adapt a VNs lines to suit as well but it wouldnt be pretty.

Speedo cable, VN/VP you unsrew the electonic sender and have a cable made up to screw into the drive off the gearbox, the you can either have an inline speed sensor fitted or get the speed sensor input turned off in the memcal.

You do realise their is already a V6 conversion thread though right?
Fell free to correct any errors i have made.

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
Ok most points i can answer pretty simple.

Electrical: the fuse/relay box isnt part of the engine loom (ecotec anyway) you can however put in relays and fuses you need and use the factory box for that standard look.

Tailshaft: yes i used vs front half with vl rear fitted perfectly and surprisingly was well balanced.

Diff: Yes vn diff will fit but you are limited in tyre size and rin choice as are wider so a vl diff is a better option.

Kframe: No use vn-vs kframe it keeps all parts off the shelf standard parts.

Steering: use vn rack with vl intermediate shaft anything else will require modification. All v6 powersteer lines will fit.

Fuel tank: Up to vs tank will fit as for lines u used the vs lines as the follow pretty much the same route but as i used wagon the where to long and needed shortening in the middle by a foot so i flared them and used rubber fuel line to join but you could also use brass fittings. make sure all lines are securely mounted and will not have and chance of rubbing on any body parts.

Transmission: I dont have pics but i can tell you that yes for proper drive train alignment the tunnel does need minor surgery to fit the 4l60/4l60e. I will detail this later.

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
The rear section is the confusing bit, in VB-early VK they use a salisbury diff, which has a different rear uni to the later borgwarner diffs found in late vk and vl commodores so tailshafts have different ends on them to suit the different diffs. In VB- early VK you use a V8 commodore rear section from a VB- early VK as the V8's have a larger center CV joint then the 6cyls and the V8 CV joint is the same size as a VN/VP CV joint, and just to confuse things further the early VK EFI 6 cyl has a V8 sized cv joint. keep in mind the shafts are all the same length.

Ok, So because i have an 82 VH, I should be looking for a V8 tailshaft from a VB through to VH as i should have a salisbury diff. (How do i tell the difference between it and the borg just to be sure?)

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
There are countless ways to wire up a V6, yes you can use the original VN/VP or whatever loom but it involves removing alot of excess wiring.

Ok that's the route i'll take then as it removes the need for the wiring conversion kit. Cheers

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
A T5 manual will fit with no massaging, most people modify there original crossmember by adding some angle iron to either side and drilling slotted holes so it all lines up perfectly.

I will be using the VP Auto, So how do i modify the crossmember and which one (VP or VH)?
I know you've stated adding some length to the sides but does anyone have any pictures of this?