Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the dreaded left-hand side clunk... my story

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i've had a clunk on the left hand side of my VS, when braking i could kinda feel the wheel/strut assembly move back and forth, movement like a pendulem.

usual problem, so i checked the link pins and rubbers where kinda ok, thought #### it, i'll change them, got the heavy duty Z style with nothane(sp) changed over and still clunk. so i tightened them up so the rubber budged a little more, within a month they had flogged out, got another set and changed em n good for a day, clunk came back.

changed my shocks and did strut top rubber and bearing at the same time.. clunk still there..

last week i replaced the 2 bushes in the lower control arms and the raduis rod bush, and sway bar rubbers. took it for a drive and the clunk was gone only until the next day after driving it to work.

did a bit of research and the last resort is a loose wheel bearing, it has been a bit noise of late, so i bit the bullet and purchased one, wanted both sides but luckily only left side in stock. half way through changing the bearing and i found the problem!!! on the lower control arm, located at the balljoint end, there are 3 huckbolts or huckrivets which hold the balljoint on to the arm, these where worn, which allowed movement of the wheel hub assembly.
the huckbolts need to be ground off and then had to punch out the remaning part of the rivet, quick visit to the shops and purchased some high tensile 5/16" and 1 1/4" long with nylocnuts, replaced and now no more cluck, finally!!! I'll be changing over the right hand side wheel bearing and huckbolts at the same time in the next few weeks.

I would assume if you've changed your balljoint, they would have come with 3 bolts to replace the huckbolts. i know every clunk will be different, but while your under checking out your bushes, please check for movement around the balljoint area :thumbsup:

EDIT: pics are attached, you can see the original huckbolts on the right and the replaced bolts on the left.

Attachments

• huck right.jpg
    huck right.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 786
  • bolts left.jpg
    bolts left.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
pics attached

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive replaced them ball joints , and the ball joints I bought came with the nuts and bolts.I used genuine holden parts though too.Maybe some aftermarket brands dont come with them.I would have thought they all would have them included with the new ball joint though..

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
I might have to check this out... thanks for the info!

I know I've got a stuffed steering rack to replace - the right side is buggered! =(
Went for a steering alignment this morning, and they came back 20min later just to tell me it was "f'd" (in their words). Not good with rego 1 week away, and no money to spare...