Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The "dumb offers" thread

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
There is a big difference between low balling and making an offer, When i sell a car i always expect the buyer to offer $500-1000 less, i pick a advertised price and a price I'm happy to part with the car for, that way the buyer feels like they're getting a better deal and you're still happy when the offer you less, i usually push back a little which is to be expected.

To be honest I'm usually happy to just take a deposit on the car and be done with the entire painful process, ultimately at the end of the day its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

It goes with the kind of car you're trying to sell, When i had my supra selling parts was easy, never got low balled and they always paid cash, the owners of those cars have money and are willing to part with it.

When i was selling my Mitsubishi Veranda (Verada) i had all kinds of crazy offers, it was 12 years old at the time, dual fuel with RWC and 9 months reg in really good condition with average KM's. was listed for $3500 (a good price at the time)

I had someone contact me offering $500, i said no thanks and they replied that thats all its worth and i was trying to rip people off and i should just sell it to them. I ended up selling it for $3200 a week later.... There are cheap people out there. the cheaper the item is the more likely you will be low balled.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
hahah

You can tell he isn't the brightest by the "Hey I seen your car" (people that say I seen that or I done that absolutely shits me)

I just don't know where people get "seen" from used in the incorrect way. Were they not taught at school the correct use of the word seen? Are they copying from their parents or friends perhaps? It sure is very annoying to hear it, and grates on me every time I hear it or read it as in that post.

rippen50

Braaap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z UTE MY12.5
My mate came up with a good tactic buying his car he needed a run around once his car was taken off the road so he was in the market for a 4 cyl hopefully with some rego didn't bother him about that part, he went through gumtree and ebay and made i guess what i would call stupid offers to people who have been trying to sell there car for over 2 months, He ended up offering a guy $750 for a Ford Festiva advertised for $2200 with 1 month rego, The guy declined but rang back 2 days later and said that he had no interest in the car at all and not one phone call or email regarding the sale, he continued to tell my mate that he would take $1000 that weekend, my mate declined and said to him that he only had $1000 on him and the car needed tyres etc, the guy cut him off and said just come and pick it up $750 and its yours

Success

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
ive had tons of these

Volvo 240 with 480,000k's on the clock, anyone who knows these cars know if it was treated ok these things are tough as nails you see them go up to 700,000k's on the original engines if properly taken care of, this ones first engine was still kicking ass at 480, had a mechanic around the corner who could dump in a new engine for $300 if needed.

Put it up for sale when I got my first commodore, had scammer after scammer, all your oil rig stuff before it became a well known thing, volvo fanatics coming out watching their eyes glisten with excitement over how good condition it was, then tell you they'd be doing a favor of taking it off your hands for $100. I got really frustrated with selling the thing and even dropped the offer on here I think to $600, had people offering me obscenely low amounts of cash. Ended up getting panels of the luxury edition one from my mechanic and pretty much upgraded it, whacked it on ebay and sold it for around what I was originally asking for it, had one of the same ***s who'd offered me $100 rock up to pick it up.

Same guy who told me oh this is wrong, this is wrong, its only worth this, i'd totally be helping out out, and yes he paid the last $100, IN COINS. Just out of aggravation I told him I was running late to work he'd have to go around to the bank and swap it for notes and drop them off to my father who'l be waiting with the keys.

When I was selling my beloved VR which was the perfect P plater hoon car, upgraded extractors, 2.5" sports exhaust, slammed onto the ground, decent headunit, asked 2k at the time which was a great price woulda taken 1800.

offer after offer for $500 cash. oh mate crisp $100 bills. i swore it was the same kid over and over. Had family guy come out to buy it confirmed I wanted 2k test drove it. Have him not message me back for 2 days, messages me going yeah was good but not great, tell you what how does $1800 sound im like thats fair.

Ok well i've got a pitbike thats worth $1500 and some hsv interceptor rims that are worth $500 so can you have the $200 ready for me tomorrow with the car.
Ended up selling it to some kid for $1800 cash.

When selling the VT i had offer after offer saying no swaps for dirtbikes, jetski's VP ss's with skyhigh k's terrible condition insisting over and over that only a f** would turn down an aussie v8.

Selling the wrx, worth 25k at the time, selling for 23.5, some of the dumbest swaps you'd ever hear. Including a VZ executive with hail damage, $500 cash and a genuine kicker subwoofer.

Ended up selling to a mate for 19.5k who then down the track now insists i owe him 5k because he tried to sell it later and couldnt after he had issues with it, sells it to a car dealer who kept telling him 12 was the best they could do for a special edition wrx club spec evo edition and he took it and gave me a massive guilt trip over it. They even asked he left in the after market speakers and touch screen headunit woth 1.5k all up.

Made him rip them all out to recoup some of the money he was being screwed for slammed some cheap crap in, and then the next week saw it on sale there for 24k.

Follow that with my project car which was a nissan 300zx, got all the way i could with it, engine needed a rebuild, saw the shells for these going for $900 on their own, whole car running $1000 seemed fair take 800.

Will swap you my VQ 400,000k's rust on windows starts sometimes, will trade you my $1500 Rims, no cash my way im giving you a great deal.

Bike pieces, mountain bikes then the cherry on the cake :

I would like to make you a very serious offer, 1x pallet full of genuine GHD hair straighteners. These retail for $80.00 each. If you sell off one a week on ebay you will get a minimum $20 each, that is atleast $1500 easy if you take your time and starve the market or sell them to your friends you can get even more!

Told him where to shove his counterfeit crap.

Then few weeks ago after rehab was kicking my ass joked i should sell the celica i got for $300 as a project while i was recovering my shoulder and then realised my shoulder stopped me driving manual atm. Friends bf immediately offered me his BA futura.

Sounded like a great deal, too good to be true. Thought it was and whacked the celica on gumtree for 1k and it sold in 5 minutes no drama no nothing.

On the guys way to pick it up i told people it may have just sold ill call you if he doesnt show up and even had people offering me more than i was asking, no swaps crap it was wierd.

Next week heard my friends now ex had swapped his great condition BA for a toyota corolla. Started bragging about all the issues the ford had such as a gearbox on its way out, low compression in two cylanders. 4 bald tyres and that this 'idiot' had no clue.

some people are just tools.