Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The End of an Era

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by Overwatch, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Overwatch

Overwatch New Member

Members Ride:
    2019 ZB Commodore RS 6Cyl AWD
    Holden Commodore axed after four decades
    It was Australia’s favourite car for 15 years straight, but the closure of the local plant began a downward spiral for the once-beloved nameplate.
    Attribution & Credits: Richard Blackburn, News Corp Australia Network

Holden today announced it would no longer sell the Commodore in Australia after 41 years on sale.

At its peak in 1998 the Commodore logged more than 90,000 sales. Picture: Supplied.
    The Commodore and Astra will be sold into next year, until stocks run out. Holden has committed to keeping spare parts supply “well into the future”.

Large family sedans, once the dominant sight on Australian roads, have all but disappeared from new-car showrooms in the past two decades.

In 1998, Australians bought 217,882 large cars. This year Holden predicts there will be roughly 8700 sold.

“The SUV segment is approaching half a million units, and (utes) over 200,000 units. That’s where the action is and that’s where we are going to play,” Mr Aquilina said.

He paid tribute to the Commodore’s long history in Australia.

Holden says buyers are flocking to SUVs such as the Equinox. Picture: Supplied.

“The decision to retire the Commodore nameplate has not been taken lightly by those who understand and acknowledge its proud heritage,” he said.

“The large sedan was the cornerstone of Australian and New Zealand roads for decades. But now with more choice than ever before, customers are displaying a strong preference for the high driving position, functionality and versatility of SUVs and Utes.”

Holden will sell current year models of the Commodore and Astra with an extended seven-year warranty as it looks to clear stock.

The decision to retain the Commodore name once the locally-built model was discontinued was a controversial one and buyers haven’t warmed to the imported model.

One Holden dealer, who declined to be named, said the move could be the beginning of the end for the brand in Australia.

He said showroom enquiry was “terrible” and the brand’s intention to purchase was low.

He suggested it could be time to rebrand the company as Chevrolet, as that brand may resonate better with buyers.

“Holden has always stood for locally built cars like the old Commodore. What do they stand for now?”

2. Derekthetree

Derekthetree Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 SV Manual
    Just saw this too. I'm only a recent Holden owner but even so sad times.

3. profaine

profaine New Member

Members Ride:
    Car
    Surely the end of Holden as a name is near as well... nothing that comes here and rebadged is one anyway...

Commo Baba and Tonner Matt like this.
  4. Pablito

Pablito Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, VE SS
    The era ended 2 years ago.

5. Heron White KOM

Heron White KOM Member

Members Ride:
    VF Motorsport Edition
    Its what Holden didn't say. They didn't say "We fucked up." I guess no car brand ever will for their mistakes unless a court declares it.

tuckerbag likes this.
  6. Pablito

Pablito Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, VE SS
    The only way back for Holden is long warranties and excellent customer service. That worked for KIA and Hyundai who are both now popular and successful.
    Holden's name is mud. And dropping sedans and only selling SUVs and utes won't fix anything if they don't work hard to change people's attitude towards the brand in the next few years.

struggo and tuckerbag like this.
  7. mwb235

mwb235 Guest

What will Just Commodores be called now? "Just Equinoxes" or "Commodores & Equinoxes"?

tuckerbag and wetwork65 like this.
  8. Overwatch

Overwatch New Member

Members Ride:
    2019 ZB Commodore RS 6Cyl AWD
    I have been driving Commodores for more than a decade, I drove VY, VZ, VE, VF (in SV6, Calais, Statesman long and short wheelbase trims) and now a ZB (RS).

Of all of them, the 235kW v6 AWD ZB is in my humble opinion the best Commodore I have driven (I prepare to be tarred and feathered here with this sentence alone).

Maybe it's the sure footedness of the AWD but to me the ZB to drive is effortless and forgiving more than any of its predecessors.

I drive Sydney to Canberra 2-4 times a month and have felt safer and more confident in the ZB. Disclaimer: I have not owned the 'sport luxury' marques like the LSA, R318 or even an SSV so those may be better so am only speaking from my particular experience.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Anthony121, Badgerdog and StrayKiwi like this.
  9. apollo13

apollo13 Member

Members Ride:
    VE LPG
    I do not want a high vehicle like a dual-cab, so I will never visit a Holden dealer again.....

Commo Baba and tuckerbag like this.
  10. StrayKiwi

StrayKiwi Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB VXR
    GM will continue making the Buick Regal in China despite sales in North America ending as well. I hope we can still get parts.

11. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    ZB MY18 Calais V Tourer , VF MY14 Calais V
    Yes interesting that Holden have pulled the plug. The next 12 months are going to be tough for sales. Yes think the 7 year warranty will be saviour but resale on the ZB will plummet now. It will be interesting to see how second hand prices change. I doubt there will be much demand for the car second hand now as even though Holden have confirmed support for the next 10 years try and tell that to a prospective buyer and convince them.

tuckerbag likes this.
  12. dah_man_ben

dah_man_ben Active Member

Members Ride:
    Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
    That press release from Holden is a load of BS stating no market for Sedans.
    This is what has happened.
    GM sold Opal the Peugeot. GM have announced they will stop selling the Commodore in the USA. Peugeot have said we are going to sell the Opals in Australia ourself again so piss off - we are not supplying you once the current agreement ends. GM have no other sedans or hatches they can supply right hand drive into Australia so they have come up with all this BS that they don’t need to sell them any more because they are not important. It’s rubbish. They have not got anything they can sell.
    Toyota sold 1500 camrys and 1500 corollas last month. That’s more cars than Holden sold all together. There is a market. Holden just sell sh**boxes. Granted I have driven the ZB and enjoy it however slapping the Commodore badge on an import annoyed a lot of loyalists.

Commo Baba, tuckerbag and VS 5.0 like this.
  13. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    The end of an era ... in billions of dollars of taxpayer bailouts to a private company so people could go to work and get taxed so the money can go to a private company so people can go to work and get taxed ... wtf?

Ron Burgundy and tuckerbag like this.
  14. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    Everything I predicted to myself is coming true.

There's no standard type car market ????? I call BS !! go and ask Mazda how many sedans and hatches they are selling, they're everywhere you look.

Goes back to the original quotation...........Holden have sold nothing but Shitboxes for years apart from the locally made Commodore & Statesman vehicles. Everything that's on their books from around the globe within the GM stable are rubbish and it continues on.

Holden have burnt their customers for years now and they are copping payback in ever way shape and form. They deserve it.

tuckerbag and VS 5.0 like this.
  15. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I think @vs-lover is pretty much correct. Holden have been riddled with problems over the years and this makes people not trust the brand. IMO we shouldn't have a list a mile long with people having issues with VE's and VF's. I think the few people that were loyal to the brand was not enough, GM should have ensured that the standards were higher to keep those who are able to buy brand new cars (baby boomers) still wanting to stick with the brand instead of buying Camry's and the like. I can see in years to come 100s of VZ - VF's being stacked in the pile for crushing, because won't see any value in keeping the car and fixing the problems. I am already seeing this in Tas, very few wreckers bother with Dores these days. You hear of mechanics saying to people it's not worth fixing. I get that about my old bus some places will try and advise you to not bother doing the costly repairs as you can buy another one cheap enough. I have read enough posts on here where people are not wanting to spend anything much on an old Dore. It's only us who car enthusiasts that think our buses are worth working on.

VFSV6FORME likes this.
  16. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    While I agree with your sentiments generally, not so much this.....

GM is the culprit here. Unfortunately Holden is merely a pawn in their shenanigans.

immortality and Tonner Matt like this.
  17. mwb235

mwb235 Guest

So in other words when Holden becomes Chevrolet nothing will have really changed.

18. dah_man_ben

dah_man_ben Active Member

Members Ride:
    Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
    You are correct with the entire GM portfolio.. all shitboxes. Holden had nothing decent to sell. Got rid of their best car and had nothing left... not their fault... GM

19. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    ZB MY18 Calais V Tourer , VF MY14 Calais V
    Yes GM is the one that made the decision. Basically GM are use to Holden providing a nice little profit dividend back then each year and this year it won’t happen. The guys at GM have said it’s a problem so drop the ZB. Let’s hope GM sell off Holden and someone like Opel pick it up. Opel can now re enter the market in OZ next year knowing they won’t be trounced by GM with a similar car. I mean there are more ZB sold than Mazda 6 each month and if it was not for the Mazda 3 it would be curtains for Mazda in OZ.
    I am just wondering how low the new VXR will now go with a 7 year warranty.

20. Tonner Matt

Tonner Matt Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    The Commodore name died a while ago now, it was the day the last VF rolled off the production line
    Some imported piece of eurotrash being rebadged was never going to fly as a Commodore

immortality and kirkc like this.