Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The End of an Era

Overwatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 ZB Commodore RS 6Cyl AWD
Holden Commodore axed after four decades
It was Australia’s favourite car for 15 years straight, but the closure of the local plant began a downward spiral for the once-beloved nameplate.
Attribution & Credits: Richard Blackburn, News Corp Australia Network

Holden today announced it would no longer sell the Commodore in Australia after 41 years on sale.

At its peak in 1998 the Commodore logged more than 90,000 sales. Picture: Supplied.
The Commodore and Astra will be sold into next year, until stocks run out. Holden has committed to keeping spare parts supply “well into the future”.

Large family sedans, once the dominant sight on Australian roads, have all but disappeared from new-car showrooms in the past two decades.

In 1998, Australians bought 217,882 large cars. This year Holden predicts there will be roughly 8700 sold.

“The SUV segment is approaching half a million units, and (utes) over 200,000 units. That’s where the action is and that’s where we are going to play,” Mr Aquilina said.

He paid tribute to the Commodore’s long history in Australia.

Holden says buyers are flocking to SUVs such as the Equinox. Picture: Supplied.

“The decision to retire the Commodore nameplate has not been taken lightly by those who understand and acknowledge its proud heritage,” he said.

“The large sedan was the cornerstone of Australian and New Zealand roads for decades. But now with more choice than ever before, customers are displaying a strong preference for the high driving position, functionality and versatility of SUVs and Utes.”

Holden will sell current year models of the Commodore and Astra with an extended seven-year warranty as it looks to clear stock.

The decision to retain the Commodore name once the locally-built model was discontinued was a controversial one and buyers haven’t warmed to the imported model.

One Holden dealer, who declined to be named, said the move could be the beginning of the end for the brand in Australia.

He said showroom enquiry was “terrible” and the brand’s intention to purchase was low.

He suggested it could be time to rebrand the company as Chevrolet, as that brand may resonate better with buyers.

“Holden has always stood for locally built cars like the old Commodore. What do they stand for now?”

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Just saw this too. I'm only a recent Holden owner but even so sad times.

profaine

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Surely the end of Holden as a name is near as well... nothing that comes here and rebadged is one anyway...

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Motorsport Edition
Its what Holden didn't say. They didn't say "We fucked up." I guess no car brand ever will for their mistakes unless a court declares it.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The only way back for Holden is long warranties and excellent customer service. That worked for KIA and Hyundai who are both now popular and successful.
Holden's name is mud. And dropping sedans and only selling SUVs and utes won't fix anything if they don't work hard to change people's attitude towards the brand in the next few years.

M

mwb235

What will Just Commodores be called now? "Just Equinoxes" or "Commodores & Equinoxes"?

Overwatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 ZB Commodore RS 6Cyl AWD
I have been driving Commodores for more than a decade, I drove VY, VZ, VE, VF (in SV6, Calais, Statesman long and short wheelbase trims) and now a ZB (RS).

Of all of them, the 235kW v6 AWD ZB is in my humble opinion the best Commodore I have driven (I prepare to be tarred and feathered here with this sentence alone).

Maybe it's the sure footedness of the AWD but to me the ZB to drive is effortless and forgiving more than any of its predecessors.

I drive Sydney to Canberra 2-4 times a month and have felt safer and more confident in the ZB. Disclaimer: I have not owned the 'sport luxury' marques like the LSA, R318 or even an SSV so those may be better so am only speaking from my particular experience.

Last edited:

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
The only way back for Holden is long warranties and excellent customer service. That worked for KIA and Hyundai who are both now popular and successful.
Holden's name is mud. And dropping sedans and only selling SUVs and utes won't fix anything if they don't work hard to change people's attitude towards the brand in the next few years.
I do not want a high vehicle like a dual-cab, so I will never visit a Holden dealer again.....

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
GM will continue making the Buick Regal in China despite sales in North America ending as well. I hope we can still get parts.