Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Fitness Thread

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Question. Protein bars.....are they any good? One of the blokes at the gym recommended them instead of muesli bars as a snack when feeling peckish throughout the day at work and stuff.....would they help any??
I always thought they had a bit too much fat content to be effective.

discomat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Question. Protein bars.....are they any good? One of the blokes at the gym recommended them instead of muesli bars as a snack when feeling peckish throughout the day at work and stuff.....would they help any??
I always thought they had a bit too much fat content to be effective.

Depends mate what are your gym goals atm?

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Depends mate what are your gym goals atm?

Hmmm....well I'm working out mainly to keep fit and active, especially seeing as I have a heavy load with Work and Uni atm. But I do enjoy building the body and seeing the progress. At the moment I'm at 94kg, would probably be happy with 100kg. Body Fat is around 14.5% (last checked 4 weeks ago). Want to get that to 11-12%.

I'm not too serious on the whole body-builder sorta thing, I still want to enjoy pizza and beer when I want to.

But I'm more thinking whether its a suitable supplement instead of muesli bars or the Milo/Nutri Grain bars as a snack?
I do take Protein shakes daily, Fish Oil tablets and multivitamins as well.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I'd keep the bars and drop the booz pizza lol.. I've had some of them nutri grain bars very crunchy very nice snack. Have you tried bodywise bars. low calories low sugar huge fibre hit.

discomat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Hmmm....well I'm working out mainly to keep fit and active, especially seeing as I have a heavy load with Work and Uni atm. But I do enjoy building the body and seeing the progress. At the moment I'm at 94kg, would probably be happy with 100kg. Body Fat is around 14.5% (last checked 4 weeks ago). Want to get that to 11-12%.

I'm not too serious on the whole body-builder sorta thing, I still want to enjoy pizza and beer when I want to.

But I'm more thinking whether its a suitable supplement instead of muesli bars or the Milo/Nutri Grain bars as a snack?
I do take Protein shakes daily, Fish Oil tablets and multivitamins as well.

Well there are pros and cons. Protein bars will be healthier but more expensive. Whereas the other stuff will be cheaper but have lots of sugar. I'd say either one will do since you just wanna keep active. If you get low carb bars you may lose a kilo or two but if you're eating junk food and drinking every weekend it won't lose any fat. I'd say keep doing what you're doing (as long as you're putting on muscle still), and when you reach your weight goal then clean up your diet and cut down the body fat to 11-12%.

Nutri Grain bar (choc malt) - 30g bar (126 cals)
Total Fat 3.0 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Carbohydrate 21.3 g
Sugars 11.0 g
Dietary Fibre 0.6 g
Protein 3.0 g

Yeah the nutrigrain bars would be doing nothing for ya, if you have em just because you're hungry try find something with more protein/ unsat fat and less sugar/simple carbs. For example nuts or something. Natural peanut butter wholemeal sandwich with olive oil margarine is my personal favourite for the 3pm fix. Especially if you work out afternoons (I work out 5.30pm).

Last edited:

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Well there are pros and cons. Protein bars will be healthier but more expensive. Whereas the other stuff will be cheaper but have lots of sugar. I'd say either one will do since you just wanna keep active. If you get low carb bars you may lose a kilo or two but if you're eating junk food and drinking every weekend it won't lose any fat. I'd say keep doing what you're doing (as long as you're putting on muscle still), and when you reach your weight goal then clean up your diet and cut down the body fat to 11-12%.

Nutri Grain bar (choc malt) - 30g bar (126 cals)
Total Fat 3.0 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Carbohydrate 21.3 g
Sugars 11.0 g
Dietary Fibre 0.6 g
Protein 3.0 g

Yeah the nutrigrain bars would be doing nothing for ya, if you have em just because you're hungry try find something with more protein/ unsat fat and less sugar/simple carbs. For example nuts or something. Natural peanut butter wholemeal sandwich with olive oil margarine is my personal favourite for the 3pm fix. Especially if you work out afternoons (I work out 5.30pm).

Too easy will do. I might try them for 2-3 weeks and see if I can see a difference and take it from there.

Lol- I don't drink every weekend, maybe twice a month if I'm lucky, but will be getting more frequent once Uni is done so just preparing.

Thanks mate!

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Day 2 on Mesomorph. Pushing harder than I have before, not necessarily more weight, but pushing harder each set and able to do more sets and fit more exercises into the routine in a longer workout...the increase in weights will come soon once I start to get it moving.

New personal bests 75kg squats (barbell on shoulders) 180kg 45degree leg press. Moving up!

discomat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Day 2 on Mesomorph. Pushing harder than I have before, not necessarily more weight, but pushing harder each set and able to do more sets and fit more exercises into the routine in a longer workout...the increase in weights will come soon once I start to get it moving.

New personal bests 75kg squats (barbell on shoulders) 180kg 45degree leg press. Moving up!

haha don't get too excited you'll learn to hate leg days. I got quads this arvo.... not looking forward to it. 140kg squat and 400kg leg press :( Cannot walk Fridays.... But mesomorph is the tits!!!

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Mesomourph is awesome stuff.

Trying to get my diet routine into swing.

Mixing abs into my workouts is giving better results so I'm happy.

Ive been watching way to much body building stuff on youtube though. Gives you lots of motivation when you can see what having dedication gets you.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Starting a twelve week program next week, so long as i can maintain a good diet i should be able to tear phone books apart.