Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Fitness Thread

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
that's what I thought, don't know if I explained how he does it well enough, but he basically only goes half way down.... so elbows inline with chest, doesn't look friggen right

It'd make sense if it was a wide grip I guess. But yeah, hands inline with chest would be how it's done properly . I go a bit lower with dumbbells.
If he can't do bar to chest then he's using too much weight.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My brother gave me some basic exercises to do, basically it was 5 pushups (never realised I was doing it wrong at shoulder height and chicken-winging, #### the proper way hurts more), then 10 laying legs on floor pull-ups (not strong enough for chin-ups), then 10 sit-ups with no leg assistance, and 15 squats. Over and over for 15 minutes. Its been 2 days and I still can't walk properly and stairs are now the bain of my existence.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Did the 21.1k 2014 Canberra Half Marathon this morning in 2:04:07

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
My brother gave me some basic exercises to do, basically it was 5 pushups (never realised I was doing it wrong at shoulder height and chicken-winging, #### the proper way hurts more), then 10 laying legs on floor pull-ups (not strong enough for chin-ups), then 10 sit-ups with no leg assistance, and 15 squats. Over and over for 15 minutes. Its been 2 days and I still can't walk properly and stairs are now the bain of my existence.

It never ceases to amaze me that a lot of guys, at my gym, who should know better use incorrect technique , case in point , the pushup , some can't manage a proper squat only going half way down , which defeats the purpose .

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Never heard of this extreme fitness challenge before, amazing research and endurance.

[video=youtube_share;HZ-XFC5qzyM]http://youtu.be/HZ-XFC5qzyM[/video]

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Never heard of this extreme fitness challenge before, amazing research and endurance.

[video=youtube_share;HZ-XFC5qzyM]http://youtu.be/HZ-XFC5qzyM[/video]

Idea for a running event

A normal marathon/half/whatever but replace water stations with a bartender and cocktails......don't think it'd be approved but worth a shot
In all seriousness there are a variety of novelty events you can do. There is a beer run in brisbane, apparently. And a nude marathon in NZ. the colour run at Homebush sees you run 5k through dye and paint whilst dressed in white. There is a mile dash for folks who wanna wear heels for a morning, and a sydney fun run where you run in your underwear.

But some events are simply iconic in their own right. Canberra marathon takes in a lap of old/new parliament house, sydney marathon takes you over the harbour bridge, past the SCG and finishing at the opera house. There is the paris, Berlin, NYC, London marathons too. There is a marathon that takes you around the north pole, and marathons that take in solar eclipses. For many, running is a lifestyle in and of itself.

Whilst on the topic today I did the CSU Bathurst 10k today in 52:32. This is a 40s post-injury PB, and since my return to 'competitive' running, have shaved 5:50 off my 10k time!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My homemade weights cage is coming along. Just need to make the chin-up bar for the front, and make the other safety bar. Then just make the punching bag attachment and the rear dip attachment.

20140509_134448.jpg20140509_134527.jpg

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a general wonderment , when I go for my run's , I go out into the country a fair bit , which luckily for me is only 5-10 minutes away , anyway once out there , I find I can just keep on going and going , unlike when doing a suburban run , what do other runners think . I think it's down to the country environment , and fewer vehicles .

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a general wonderment , when I go for my run's , I go out into the country a fair bit , which luckily for me is only 5-10 minutes away , anyway once out there , I find I can just keep on going and going , unlike when doing a suburban run , what do other runners think . I think it's down to the country environment , and fewer vehicles .

Depends on distance, speed etc. I have 5 main strategies/areas when going for a run
-Leave from home, do laps of housing estate - this is good for a shorter run up to 8k, as doing continual laps gets boring (lap is max 4km) - good when I'm pressed for time, good for doing intervals because the hills, though sharp, aren't long. Also, its well lit with good condition roads, so safe for night running.
-Leave from home, go along nearby cycle paths - I live on the edge of town, I can see countryside from front door. Mainly free from traffic, though, I now have to go through a busy intersection. Good for sustained effort runs, up to 10k.
-Leave from home, do a lap of Nth Orange - this is adaptable, mix of country/urban, from 5.4k to 17k. Have 7.2 and 5.4k laps mapped out. Good for slow or sustained efforts, not intervals (hills too big/long).
-Get in car, go over to west Orange - nicest part of town, very hilly/leafy. I go my slow mid-distance runs here, 12km atm, starting in late afternoon, finishing at nightfall. However I normally do this thursday peak hour, so have to deal with quite a bit of traffic.
-Get in car, go to the bloomfield/gosling ck area, this is where I do my long runs. Selection of loops, normally 5-8k so I can store drinks etc in the car and rehydrate regularly. Maximum distance I have run out here is 34.7k over 5 laps.
Whatever run I do I make sure the area is safe and visually appealing and stimulating. Main things that **** me include heavy traffic, poor pedestrian facilities, bad pavement, dogs off leashes and roundabouts.

As for feeling physically energised - depends on effort. Last weekend did a 21.1 Half Marathon time trial in an average of 5:29 and was stuffed afterwards, hitting the wall at the 17k mark. But yesterday did a 22.5k long run in 5:40 pace and still had some energy at the end. I have been completely rooted after a 2.9k time trial, albeit I did manage a 4:30/km pace!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I run the ring loop around the out skirts of my town , which is roughly a 12-13 km loop , this is a good early morning run which I do on weekends , with some gentle rises , and some short sharp hills as well , the country run involves open country of varying terrain , long climbs , and some down hill descents of around 12km , I try to run as fast as possible up the hills and just ease down the other side , but as I mentioned , the country run is one I don't rush on, averaging 5.30 / km as the scenery at this time of year is stunning , as you can look out and in the distance see snow covered mountains . The most important thing , and I think you'll know what I mean c2105026 , is have a bowel movement , before going for a run , as public facilities can be few and far between .

Last edited: