Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ford BA XR6 was a better car than the ZB

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Ok that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why anyone would think it economically worthwhile to put any engine besides the same or similar one that the car originally came out with, especially if it was a VE or VF.
Agreed. In this day and age of computerisation of cars it doesn’t really make any sense to try and fit a different engine to any modern car at all as it’s just too difficult.

Like I said earlier if I had an old school car I was looking to put a modern engine into and I had to go Barra or LS I’d seriously look at a Barra rebuilt as a turbo based purely on the economics of it. If money wasn’t an object I’d pick the LS all day long as you can’t beat the sound of a good V8.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I agree it wouldn’t be a cheap swap into a VE. I’m just talking about the direct comparison between the two engines. If you have a car that your going to do a transplant on anyway then the Barra is the pick between the LS and the Barra as a second hand N/A Barra motor can be had for a few hundred bucks whereas the LS is few thousand dollars.

I was talking about the conversion into a VE because that's what the pic was showing. Anyway, to counter your argument about the Barra, I personally think it's an ugly packaged, ugly sounding, largely inefficient engine (in NA form) that needs a turbo to to make it a performance engine.

Cheap isn't everything -and getting back to the pic posted, that conversion into a VE is far from cheap or ideal, hence why you don't see it done.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe Tuff mounts actually do a mount kit to put a Barra into the 2nd gen Commodores. Take from that what ever inference you need?

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
Nah. ZB is far better than BA.
Look at the stats and glowing recommendations by a forum member on here. Haven't seen anything like that to favour a BA.
A BA is too heavy in weight, fuel consumption, revs too high at highway speeds, and it has no driver aids, or connectivity to take you to Myers at Shitzville. The Barra will need a rebuild after the first 500Km.
More like the 3 bears combined, rather than Goldilocks, similar to that 'billion dollar baby' boat anchor.
IT refreshing to get a even handed, rational response. I have driven the BA but I can see this as being . When were the first and last batch of BA s made. This will GENERALLY tell a story that will be indicative that your assessment is on the money. I just won't listen to anyone who tried to compare a Cruze to a Commodore, in particular to the ZB ..and then to add further comments to keep this ludicrous, outrageous nonsense going .
And then to carry and continue the equally outrageous rubbish that when I purchased my ZB LT 4 cyl petrol turbo IN APRIL 2019, I got a terrible deal. There is a huge difference in me with the cash ready to buy than some clown standing on the sidelines making wrong and totally baseless comments that I got a bad deal. I got an outstanding deal with all the factors .. very low ks , free servicing and warranties .. 5 year and the price. I also went to a dealer to purchase. But when you can show the colour of your money , you do the research... I looked rurally where Zoom lived and bought in Melbourne 300 k from me home . I could go on and on . The person or persons that fired this at me are unworthy of comment, unworthy of staying on this forum yet I am I'm the firing I didn't mention the trade value too.
My over top praise and defence I mounted about the ZB 4 means one thing that is outside me. That is, many will drive and buy the ZB 4 petrol turbo because of my high praise ( though my so called promotion is questioned, so what's the motivation that dont accept it is a Commodore and can exercise censoring).) , a bloke around the corner bought a red RS wagon and is tickled pink. He loves its whisper quiet loping at 1400 revs at 112 kph too. I repeat, all I wanted to do was praise this incredibly underrated package of a car with its absolute beautiful driveability, balance, power and remarkable solidity on the road, the first thing you notice when you drive off

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
tezza you have told us many times about your chevrolet/holden ZB malibu, give it a rest mate ;)

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
tezza you have told us many times about your chevrolet/holden ZB malibu, give it a rest mate ;)

Do you think if we all admitted the ZB milkfloat edition was the best car ever, he'd give up job done?

I mean I already showed that wheelbase-wise the ZB is closer to a Cruze than an actual commodore, but he won't listen to cold hard facts

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Cruze was a great little car, for a while there, if you put a bit of a body kit on it it looked just like a real Commodore!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The Cruze was a great little car, for a while there, if you put a bit of a body kit on it it looked just like a real Commodore!
Torana?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Do you think if we all admitted the ZB milkfloat edition was the best car ever, he'd give up job done?

I mean I already showed that wheelbase-wise the ZB is closer to a Cruze than an actual commodore, but he won't listen to cold hard facts

true, the zb 4 cyl petrol has the same engine as the malibu and it is built on the E2XX platform which is the same as the malibu.
the zb wheelbase is 2,829 mm and the malibu is 2,830 mm.

so if you add the engine, the platform and the wheelbase, the ZB 4CYL 2.0l Petrol is malibu :D

it even looks the similar
2880px-2019_Chevrolet_Malibu_%28facelift%29_LT%2C_front_10.19.19.jpg

this one has the same alloy rims as the zb rs
2880px-2017_Chevrolet_Malibu_LT_front_3.27.18.jpg

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

Here we fkn go again. same drivel. :mad:

:( Tezza, reference post 44 ............. please learn how to format posts. Have you ever heard of 'paragraphs'.
I was being sarcastic, but you completely missed that with your ZB blinkered glasses.
Personally, I have a SY2 Territory. Comfortable, acceleration from 100 to 120 quick, can play CDs, and it has no 'driver aids' what all.
One line of satisfaction comments. End. No more. Enough.

As for a Barra into a Commodore ....... the Commodore was designed for a V6 and V8. Th Falcon was designed for a L6.
The Barra is a big, long and tall, heavy lump. It may fit into a Commodore, but the balance of the car would be all wrong.
I just wish that the Alloytec was a painless as the Barra. If Ford could evolve the '60s Falcon engine into the Barra, I am sure that Holden could have done the same with the 179. but .... economics and being GM, well ?