Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The "gears" and "power" in an auto

nath_120

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VSI Executive
What functions do the 1, 2 and 3 on the auto do?
Can you use them like a clutchless manual, or does it wreck the gearbox?

What about the power button? Does this just rev higher before changing gears?

Thanks
Nath

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Selecting 1, 2,or 3 will hold the box in those gears .....however I think if in 1 and you over-rev, it will go to 2 (for safety)....but generally speaking if you don't over-rev they will stay in the gear selected....won't wreck the box.
And re the power button - what you say is correct - just holds the gears for longer.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
hako said:
Selecting 1, 2,or 3 will hold the box in those gears .....however I think if in 1 and you over-rev, it will go to 2 (for safety)....but generally speaking if you don't over-rev they will stay in the gear selected....won't wreck the box.
And re the power button - what you say is correct - just holds the gears for longer.

Correct. You can put the stick in first doing 100 km/h, but it won't shift back to first until a safer speed is reached, usually below 40 km/h. Same thing if you take off with the stick in first, it will automatically shift into second at 5750 rpms. Second gear does not do this though, if you leave the stick in 2, so you will hit the limiter...

Power button changes the shift points, it will hold gears for longer, and won't go into overdrive until you are doing over 85 km/h. It is often used for towing, and for more responsive driving, as the transmission shifts back a gear with less throttle than when used in economy mode.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
The other day in my council car (VZ commodore wagon), I was at 80ks so I stuck it into Gear 1, I thought it wouldnt shift back, but the damn thing shifted and the thing redlined, and never will I do that again.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
lmao unless im goign for gold bulma never sees more than 4000rpm, day to day drivign i would do about 2900ish max

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
i cant help myself. its to hard to keap the car in the low revs. i do it for 1/2 a tank then im so frustarted and borded that i thrash teh second 1/2. much respect 2 anyone who has more self control than me on this topic. and yeh power button makes it change gear at higher revs. and it will rev higher at crusing speed to.

RebelSS

RebelSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV A6
Gears

Hi,
The reason why you would want to 'lock' in individual gears is to hold the motor within certain rev range.

If this is to ensure the auto does not chnage-up to quickly, you can have your computerre-programmed to do so. But, the down-side is that you reduce the fuel economy and create greater stress/wear on your drive train.

Bubbaj247

VTR247
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT ACCLAIM II
I Got a Vt II, You can have it in 1st all the time, but for it to change gears it needs to reach about 200rpm b4 the redline, gear after gear,Its not a bad way to get all the power out of all gears, By leaving it in first once it reachs 59Km/H it drops back into first, it says what it will do in the origial holden user manuals. but by doing this uses alot more fuel, then nessary. So the only reason ya want to use it is to drag people, or to get to your top speed. which doing it this way is probley the best way. Cheers

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
holden007 said:
The other day in my council car (VZ commodore wagon), I was at 80ks so I stuck it into Gear 1, I thought it wouldnt shift back, but the damn thing shifted and the thing redlined, and never will I do that again.

Glad my rates aren't payin' for your car:D

nath_120

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VSI Executive
Cheers for the replies everyone.