Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The gift that keeps on giving - service ESP warning

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
1. Restarted the car after filling up at a servo and it seemed to struggle to start. Like when the battery is not ok. Did not think much of it.
2. Came home ... Restarted..same thing.
3. Went out and drove around for a bit....stopped the car and restarted after 5 min - struggled to start, rough idle (like misfire) and the Service ESP light came on the dash. The car felt like crap.
4. Turned it off and turned it back on after 10 min and all seems fine.
5. Came home and restarted it again and it seemed okay.

WTF ?!?!
Could this be the sign of bad battery ? Ignition related? Fuel related ? Starter motor ?
Black calipers LOL

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Injectors?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
battery has sat around for a while

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
battery has sat around for a while

Battery sat around only for 2 weeks ...two weeks ago at the dealership.

Also between june and oct 3 yrs ago when the car was new at the dealership. June build...sold to me in mid oct.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
Hi Ron, my first injector that went did a similar thing. The warning lights and misfire were intermittent at first, so I thought it may have been some bad fuel or other, but over a period of a few days it gradually got worse until it was constant.

Could be something else, but odds on it's an injector.:(

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
service esp will just be a sensor or some part that involves running of the engine (injectors, coils, maf ect) id check the ohms of the injectors see what they are like and also check them when engines is fully warmed up and heat soaked see if there is much difference

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Wasn’t this engine replaced to resolve piston slap issues? As such, injectors and many sensors are new unless part of the the ancillary equipment that was transferred across from the old motor. In theory not so much for the dealer to check ;)

But I’d first look at my fuel receipt to make sure I put in what I wanted to put in (some have said going from 98 to 95 or 91 or vice versa can cause idle issues - odd on an engine that can take all versions sold in Aus though Holden says 95 recommend).

In any case I’d be fuming and back at the dealers demanding an explanation. I wouldn’t try and fault find the issue myself as I’d likely be over the Holden ownership experience :eek:

Guess it’s way overdue for our legislators to bring well defined lemon laws so in such instances of multiple faults and frustrations one can simply return the vehicle and get a refund. ACL allows for such but it’s more convoluted than it needs to be and not clearly spelt out (so regulator captured interpretations creep in).