Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The gift that keeps on giving - service ESP warning

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Battery sat around only for 2 weeks ...two weeks ago at the dealership.

Also between june and oct 3 yrs ago when the car was new at the dealership. June build...sold to me in mid oct.

Mines a Jan 16 build so battery 3 years old, I broke my left arm bad(surgery screws etc) so being a manual haven't driven it for 3 months started it last weekend for for first time and just started and few alarms went off stability etc. Let it warm up very small drive(left arm has no strength) and charged battery no more fault codes(these modern cars are voltage sensitive)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
12.25v this morning before driving...

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
A mate that works in NRMA told me on some vehicles (VW's) that the computer needs to be told a new battery has been installed as it programs the alternator to charge less as it is a new one, as it senses the battery is getting older it charges more, not sure with Holden.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A mate that works in NRMA told me on some vehicles (VW's) that the computer needs to be told a new battery has been installed as it programs the alternator to charge less as it is a new one, as it senses the battery is getting older it charges more, not sure with Holden.
I’ve previously scanned through the PDF version of the VF workshop manual and not found any reference or step to program the system to identify a new battery has been installed.

As is, the BCM software looks after the charge function but this software can be updated by Holden as it pleases. Who knows if such a feature to identify a newly installed battery hasn’t been added post the 2014? date of the PDF that I have.

Guess you could ask your NRMA mate specifically about Holden battery replacement and whether some programming is required? I’d be interested in knowing the answer :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
because of the tuning i do with my own vehicle every time i flash a tune in it resets the data and has to learn so if im doing a flash every drive it always charges around 15v till it learns from a couple hour drive, or i found if u disconnect battery and charge battery whilst disconnected to full then connect it and start/drive it will learn almost instantly that its full charged and seems better, but either way it shouldnt matter it will do what it needs to do anywhere from 12.8 to 15v charging is within its charging sequence dependent on battery load/charge, if it does charge above or below a set voltage outside its programs expected voltage u will get a warning

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
do yourself a favor mate.
Buy a $5 ELM Bluetooth connector.
Buy torque app (Android one is what I use)
Import GM PIDS for free.

The above will tell you any issues. If ESP has come up, it will have a code in there.
Least then you can tell Holden what the issue is and get to fix, instead of relying/trusting them.

The above app will also allow you to monitor oil and fuel pressures. Oil and trans temps. O2 outputs, spark advance, KR, inlet temps, etc.
Will also tell you if you are getting faulty injectors like so many are. The app allows you to show injector misfire counts on a historic basis, but also instantaneously too.
Great info at hand, for the price of a beer at the local.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
12.25v this morning before driving...
Got me thinking and tested my older car this morning.
My SV6 is 12.2 V in the morning before start up. Jan 2014 build and no errors (so far).
Display shows 14.9 V continuously whilst driving which gives me some concern.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
do yourself a favor mate.
Buy a $5 ELM Bluetooth connector.
Buy torque app (Android one is what I use)
Import GM PIDS for free.

The above will tell you any issues. If ESP has come up, it will have a code in there.
Least then you can tell Holden what the issue is and get to fix, instead of relying/trusting them.

The above app will also allow you to monitor oil and fuel pressures. Oil and trans temps. O2 outputs, spark advance, KR, inlet temps, etc.
Will also tell you if you are getting faulty injectors like so many are. The app allows you to show injector misfire counts on a historic basis, but also instantaneously too.
Great info at hand, for the price of a beer at the local.

Nrma did the test. No errors logged