Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Govt makes cars safer to increase the road toll

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Interesting yes, but no it doesnt answer the question about whether abs does make the car safer in real world driving. All it gives is the stats accident rates amongst similar vehicles with and without abs being involved in collisions. As has already been pointed out this could be due to the biggest variable of the lot.....the behaviour of drivers who have made a decision to have or not have abs or know that their car has abs etc.

Perhaps not directly, but they did make some interesting observations (I must admit I skimmed over it). From what I gathered, the overall accident risk remained the same for cars with and without ABS, but the accident patterns changed.

For example if an ABS car was following a non-ABS car, and the leading (non-ABS) car braked suddenly the following (ABS) car had less chance of hitting the leading car, but this was offset by an increased chance of another car rear-ending it.

They also noted that there was a lot of anecdotal evidence that drivers were more prepared to drive in conditions they normally wouldn't if they had a car without ABS.

So basically, the summary was that the overall accident risk hasn't changed since ABS has become commonplace, but the types of accidents and circumstances have, so it's decreased the chances of certain types of crash, and increased/introduced new ones.

Last edited:

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
this thread proves that's its people with sh1t attitudes that cause accidents. it has nothing to do with the government "making" money.