Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Govt makes cars safer to increase the road toll

Unconnected

Reaction score
Members Ride
Impreza/Redline VF soon
Hello pub,

I theorise that,

The governments of the world, legislate car saftey "improvments"(ie seat belts/airbags/abs) so as to encourage drivers to:

A) trust that their car will protect them in a HIGH SPEED crash
B) care less about driving at a high speed in adverse conditions
[E.G a driver going 110 down the motorway in the wet, due to the protection of ABS]
C) and thus, drive over the speed limit more often, due to being comfortable at high speeds

This means that, Govt's of the world, make cars safer to increase the amount of speeding drivers and thus increase income through speeding fines etc.

If cars had spikes in the middle of the steering wheel and bald tires, no one would drive any more then 20kph, the road toll would drop to near 0, due to everyone being too scared to drive.

the government knows this, but legislates safer cars because it:

A) makes them look like they are saving lives (increase votes)
B) increase income from speeding fines.

Do you agree.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
i sorta agree with some parts, mainly that the government just likes to appear to be helping, but they dont want people to speed. they want people to be safe, it alwys comes down to choise, some people choose to speed and run the risk. and that will always be the case, also what about drivers of old cars that speed, your suggesting that only people with new cars with good safety speed because they know its safer?

TrEnNaVY

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6
no offence mate but in my opinion that is just stupid. most people drive to the conditions, the make cars safer to save lives not give people confidence

Unconnected

Reaction score
Members Ride
Impreza/Redline VF soon
i feel their plan is more to target new drivers born around 1985>, as none of them are used to cars with no abs or remember times with out seatbelts etc. and are such used to relying on their car for protection.

an old mate of mine made a example of himslef when he drove 120kmh down the wakehust parkway at night, in one of the worst storms i have seen. when i told him to slow the **** down he said

"im driving the safest car in the world (mk5 golf) it has a 5 star euroNCAP and esp, im allowed to drive like this"

its people like this, and their are many these days, who are falling into the governments trap.

TrEnNaVY

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6
all that proves is that ur mate is a ********. no matter wot u r in if ur driving 120 in a storm ur looking for death

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
All the info is out there on cyber space, apart from your not uncommon perception(amongst those that dont have the ability to drive to the regulations) that governments the world over only have traffic fines to gain revenue

There is some truth in the idea that people drive to a perceived level of safety, which has been offered as one of the reasons as to why there has been not much statistical difference in the accident rate between otherwise identical vehicles fitted with abs and those that dont. There are many factors here, like the attitude of those that insist their vehicle had abs in the 1st place.

However, go back over time and you will find the injury/fatality rate per km driven was much higher than today and that each feature that makes a car safer has helped to improve that rate.

Perhaps the more interesting aspects of this discussion would be whether the features that improve accident survivability(seat belts, air bags, chassis crumple zones etc) have more/less effect than improvements in handling, braking/tyres etc.

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
i feel their plan is more to target new drivers born around 1985>, as none of them are used to cars with no abs or remember times with out seatbelts etc. and are such used to relying on their car for protection.

an old mate of mine made a example of himslef when he drove 120kmh down the wakehust parkway at night, in one of the worst storms i have seen. when i told him to slow the **** down he said

"im driving the safest car in the world (mk5 golf) it has a 5 star euroNCAP and esp, im allowed to drive like this"

its people like this, and their are many these days, who are falling into the governments trap.

im glad you said 'old mate of yours' coz clearly hes a toss that needs an accident to open his eyes to the world

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i dont agree its not the goverment that invent these safety features they only legeslate after the feature has/had been used and been out for a while.
Example ford invented seatbelts waaay before it ever became law to to wear one.
Car manufacturers invent these things to help sell their vehicles i'm sure safety of occupants and profit is on their minds not whether the goverments tells them to invent these safety features

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Do you have ANY idea how dangerous cars were in the USA in the mid 1900s? People were dropping like files on the roads because the cars were death traps. Just because something is dangerous, doesn't mean people will sit back and have a good long look at what they're doing.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i partially agree, they are mostly concerned with the appearance of saving lives or protecting people. that's why things like 40 zones are here to stay and only going to get stricter. 40 zones in school zones, love em or hate em, whatever. but 40 zones permanently in backstreet shopping strips?
they can't get rid of them because it'll be backing down or seen to be being soft on hoons.

thing is, my folks are always telling me when they were young you'd often do ~150 on country roads like going up to donald etc. it wasn't called hooning back then, just how it was done. and that was before abs, traction control, airbags, and with leaf suspension.