Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Grand Tour (TGT)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You people take this **** to seriously, funny **** to watch.

Tony Quinn has one of those Vulcan's at his Highlands race track, damn fool let one of your aussie idiots drive it at the recent 101 events.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Half way through episode one. Top Gear is dead and they should just let it go. TGT is Top Gear basically. Not sure if anyone knows but 5th Gear is also staffed by former Top Gear staff and presenters and is well worth a watch.

I now prefer 5th Gear , it's well worth a look , they test cars that are more within the average persons reach .

R

Risky

The guys are doing pretty much as they were doing on Top Gear but with very slight differences. Clarkson, Hammond & May don't take each other seriously & never have done. I have watched old Top Gear & it was starting to go stale back in the mid 90's. I still watch the old Top Gear episodes from time to time. Episode 2 of the Grand Tour is basically the 3 taking the piss out of themselves as they have done in the past (if those of you who remember the episode where they create their own ambulances). I even watch 5th Gear & have done since the start. Both shows compliment each other rather than go head-to-head. Even Quentin Wilson & Jodie Kidd's The Classic Car show is a great watch.

Not all The Grand Tour's episodes will appeal to everyone, just as Top Gear. Everyone will have their favourite car, favourite challenge, favourite test, favourite stunt etc. What appealed most to me were the locations that they used to drive to in Top Gear which will most likely happen in future episodes of The Grand Tour.

I admit that they have to get rid of "The American" Mike Skinner. I'm sure there are other drivers in the US that can take on the job much better.

Top Gear now with it's new presenters (including Shouty McShoutface Evans) are very bland & are trying to capture the formula set by Clarkson, Hammond & May. They have too many people trying too hard to replicate it & it's not working.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Shouty McShoutface is already long gone from Top Gear.

The worst bit was them trying to get a few laughs using jokes about the old presenters, went down like a lead brick that did.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I do not know why they picked Mike Skinner as the resident driver; he did so-so in NASCAR, nothing expectacular. Maybe is the fat-redneck US stereotype. Perhaps, Boris Said could be a better choice, he is a NASCAR ringer on road courses. He can take an average car and finish within the top 10. I wonder what happen to Ben Collins, he was in a preview.

R

Risky

I've never heard of Mike Skinner until TGT started. I don't get to watch much NASCAR as Foxtel here don't advertise it as much. They need a better "The American" driver.

Some say, that he's never heard of European cars,
and that his saliva tastes like MGD Beer & cordite.
All we know is he's called "The American"!

Ben Collins still races cars & that clip above was from Top Gear Live. Even when he outed himself as The Stig, he was still doing work on Top Gear.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Was not a fan of the second episode. I almost skipped through the Special Forces Training, not enough car content. But they are probably just enjoying the freedom of creativity

R

Risky

Some say, that he thinks Pick-up trucks are limos,
and that he can eat multiple tins of baked beans & never farts.
All we know is he's called "The American"!

Last edited by a moderator:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Watching the American version of top gear , celebrating the v8, episode, kill me but I do love the car (or even the base factory version) , Matt LeBlanc was driving , hennerssy mustang (supercharged, 850hp) , have to say I love the new mustang so I'd be happy with a base model GT V8 manual ( really would love one as a daily).